Have any of you mom's had civil wars going on with your daughters over wearing thong underwear?

Right around the time I heard at work that **a certain retailer aimed at adolescents was targeting 5th grade girls to sell thong underwear to, my girls starting wearing them and I was not amused. Anyone else feel that pressure from retailers to make our kidz grow up faster than is healthy for them?

2ribbons

Asked by 2ribbons at 11:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• wow fifth grade and thongs? that's just crazy. i agree, way too young. good luck with that
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• no way
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• lol no way would i let my 5th grade daughter wear thongs, there is no way
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Gosh, my mom wouldn't let me wear a side pony tail, because she said it was "too sexy." (can you tell I'm an 80's child?) She would have had a stroke, if she caught me wearing thongs!!! That is WWAAAYYYYYYYYY too young to being wearing thongs. Why would they push thongs on girls so young? They'd sell more if they said "Hannah Montana" or "High School Musical!"
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My daughter (13 at the time) had to wear thongs for volleyball because of the spandex that they are required to wear for their uniform. ( Very tight , short shorts...almost like boyshorts cut underwear.) She insisted that everyone wears thongs underneath them because of the pantyline factor. I was reluctant, but bought them for volleyball ONLY. Best thing I ever did. the reality of the 24/7 wedgie was way more effective than any speeches or lectures about the ills of slutty underwear. She still has to weaar them for volleyball season, but she bitches about it far more than I ever had to! But a 5th grader wanting to wear them just for fun??? My God!!! We have a joke at our house..."Blame Hannah Montana!!!" I'll keep my fingers crossed that she caves in to the wedgie factor!!! : )
    graciesmom164

Answer by graciesmom164 at 4:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My daughter started wearing them in about 7th grade big deal they are just panties I have other things to worry about besides panties
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was raised by my grandmother and at 13
    i bought my first thongs and i used to hand
    wash them because i didnt want to put them
    into the laundry and have her see them.
    i did accidently put them in the wash and she
    did see them and she did scold me but thats it.
    Thong underwear do give you a weird false
    sense of sexiness, but if you raised your daughter
    right she'll treat herself with respect.
    (a good girl will be a good girl reguardless her
    panties, and a naughty girl will be naughty
    in granny panties)
    But yeah she has to not want to wear the
    panties herself. I stopped after my babies,
    they are uncomfy, lol.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 10:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Im glad I have boys,lol I'm sure they will come with worries in other areas but none of them have expressed an interest in clothing, undergarments, etc... PHEW!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• 5th grade girls buy their own underwear?
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 12:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• hahaha, i remember when i bought my first thong. i was 13. my mom was about to die., but she got over it quick.
    dddebrababy.

Answer by dddebrababy. at 1:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009