Sermon at the funeral

Appropriate or not? Specifically the repent before it's too late style...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Religious Debate

• OMG! I laughed because I read the Question as "Salmon" at the Funeral! I was thinking sure if it's a Jewish Funeral. Food is always on my mind! LOL! Anyway, I have never seen a Sermon at a Funeral here where I live. Just a regular Funeral Mass.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• If the person who died was that denomination, then I suppose so...
    If they were not- NO
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I think the preacher should abide by whatever the family asks for. So if they want a sermon, go with it.

Otherwise, not appropriate.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• What the deceased person or the family requests should carry the day. However, I've been to a funeral where a sermon was preached against the wishes of the family, and that wasn't appropriate at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Speaking from experience from the last two that I have been to for my mom and sister, I don't think it's appropriate. I am not saying that I do or do not believe in God, but I am not there to justify where I am going to end up in the end. I just want it to be a celebration of life and not hear that I am going to Hell if I don't do this or that. I can say that I wasn't all too happy with them saying things like that.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I am not a big fan of it but will sit quietly and respectfully during a service. Recently went to the full Mass service of a dear neighbor whom was a devout Catholic, my kids and I sat very quietly and silently paid our personal respects during times of led prayer.
    We actually had a discussion with the preacher before my Fathers service and laid out what we did not want said out of respect for my fathers beliefs.
    It is a personal thing between the family and the clergy, and is no harm to spend a few minutes of quiet time in respect for the deceased, if it is to much of a strain then maybe it is a service you shouldn't be attending.

Weddings are a whole different ball of wax though...lol.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Well I think It's distasteful to be honest. The mother of my uncles children who committed suicides funeral did this and it took everything In Me not to walk out. Screaming and shouting about gods love and need for salvation to be free from hell had me pissed. She was not a christian but her family was. I told my dh I refuse to have a church service he's a Christian I am not.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• meh...I haven't given it much thought. The do that at every funeral I've ever been to. Since my daddy's health is declining...I need to talk to him and see what he wants.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• The do that at every funeral I've ever been to.

I think I'd stop going to funerals if it was a regular occurrence. Must be a regional or denom thing? Girl from school came in a bit dumbstruck from it happening at one she'd just been to - completely inappropriate, against the wishes of the family (she said some were getting close to violent over it). I can't imagine one where it's actually welcome.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• If that had happened at my dads funeral I would have been upset. It's supposed to be about celebrating the life of the deceased and easing the families grief.
    And we had a catholic service for my dad.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2013