Sermon at the funeral

Appropriate or not? Specifically the repent before it's too late style...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Religious Debate

• TOTALLY in appropriate!!

Most of my family is Catholic, but we have a branch of Born-agains in my family. At my cousin Tyler's funeral (he's on the born-again side), only about 1/2 the eulogy was ABOUT TYLER. The rest was about how awesome Jesus was, and how important Jesus was in his (the eulogist's!) life. Not Tyler's life...that would have been almost tolerable...but how much the eulogist loved Jesus. Afterwards, I rode with my parents and my Aunt Sister Carol (my aunt...who is a nun) to the graveyard. And *Sister Carol* was going on and on about how the service was "too Jesus-focused". A Nun!!! Now, if a nun (a Bride of Christ) thinks something has too much Jesus in it...that's saying something!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Too much. Unfortunately, dh and I both have born-again people in our families. I can see it happening at one of their funerals, but I certainly hope it doesn't happen at my other relatives funerals.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• That would depend on the family wishes. I haven't been to a funeral in a long time. My mom wants to skip the funeral parlor and have me hold a memorial at the house.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Depends on the religion of the deceased.

No one has to attend the funeral service if it conflicts with their own beliefs. There is the viewing at the funeral parlor and the actual internment that they can attend and still participate. There is the reception after, usually as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I feel the Preacher should abide by what the family requests.
    miserable695

Answer by miserable695 at 5:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Whatever the family or deceased wants or wanted
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 4:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• It's for the family to determine what is and is not appropriate. A lot of churches won't do anything like this, though. Out of curiosity, what denomination?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Yes, if the family are happy with it. Defo, something said about the resurrection hope would be appropriate at least. But again, I think the preacher should only speak if invited to and the family agree with what he'll have to say. I think funerals are for the comfort of the living first and foremost, personally.
    Cushty

Answer by Cushty at 8:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I would prefer not but this is typical in my very Southern State.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• If more people set their funerals before dying it'd be easier on everyone. I already have down what song I want sung, who to talk and what I want them to talk about. I also have stated I don't want the entire service to be over 15 minutes! Keep it short and sweet. I'm a born again Christian and yes I want people to know my faith but I don't want them preached to death at my funeral. Chances are that if the way I lived my life didn't change how they thought then my death/sermon won't either so lets keep it peaceful for the grieving.

I also have my cemetary plot and am just getting ready to start on the casket, etc. Oh and did I mention I"m noly 50. You never can gaurantee you have tomorrow.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2013