Sermon at the funeral

Appropriate or not? Specifically the repent before it's too late style...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Yes to bring comfort to the people.

How can that possibly be comforting?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Yes to bring comfort to the people.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• For my funeral it would be inappropriate since I am an Atheist. For someone else it might be fitting not for me to really decide.

healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 10:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I think only if it's what the deceased would've wanted.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Most funerals are conducted by the minister of the deceased and have the same affiliation. Of course he is going to preach what they teach.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• I personally don't like it. Annoys the holy hell out of me. Unfortunately, on the hubby's side, that's how things are done. I just roll with it since for the most part (thank goodness) funerals do not happen very often.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• If more people set their funerals before dying it'd be easier on everyone. I already have down what song I want sung, who to talk and what I want them to talk about. I also have stated I don't want the entire service to be over 15 minutes! Keep it short and sweet. I'm a born again Christian and yes I want people to know my faith but I don't want them preached to death at my funeral. Chances are that if the way I lived my life didn't change how they thought then my death/sermon won't either so lets keep it peaceful for the grieving.

I also have my cemetary plot and am just getting ready to start on the casket, etc. Oh and did I mention I"m noly 50. You never can gaurantee you have tomorrow.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I would prefer not but this is typical in my very Southern State.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Yes, if the family are happy with it. Defo, something said about the resurrection hope would be appropriate at least. But again, I think the preacher should only speak if invited to and the family agree with what he'll have to say. I think funerals are for the comfort of the living first and foremost, personally.
    Cushty

Answer by Cushty at 8:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• It's for the family to determine what is and is not appropriate. A lot of churches won't do anything like this, though. Out of curiosity, what denomination?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2013