Sermon at the funeral

Appropriate or not? Specifically the repent before it's too late style...

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Yes to bring comfort to the people.

How can that possibly be comforting?

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Yes to bring comfort to the people.

Answer by morebee7 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• For my funeral it would be inappropriate since I am an Atheist. For someone else it might be fitting not for me to really decide.

Answer by healthykidsmom at 10:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2013

• I think only if it's what the deceased would've wanted.

Answer by 3libras at 1:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Most funerals are conducted by the minister of the deceased and have the same affiliation. Of course he is going to preach what they teach.

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• I personally don't like it. Annoys the holy hell out of me. Unfortunately, on the hubby's side, that's how things are done. I just roll with it since for the most part (thank goodness) funerals do not happen very often.

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• If more people set their funerals before dying it'd be easier on everyone. I already have down what song I want sung, who to talk and what I want them to talk about. I also have stated I don't want the entire service to be over 15 minutes! Keep it short and sweet. I'm a born again Christian and yes I want people to know my faith but I don't want them preached to death at my funeral. Chances are that if the way I lived my life didn't change how they thought then my death/sermon won't either so lets keep it peaceful for the grieving.

I also have my cemetary plot and am just getting ready to start on the casket, etc. Oh and did I mention I"m noly 50. You never can gaurantee you have tomorrow.

Answer by baconbits at 3:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I would prefer not but this is typical in my very Southern State.

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Yes, if the family are happy with it. Defo, something said about the resurrection hope would be appropriate at least. But again, I think the preacher should only speak if invited to and the family agree with what he'll have to say. I think funerals are for the comfort of the living first and foremost, personally.

Answer by Cushty at 8:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• It's for the family to determine what is and is not appropriate. A lot of churches won't do anything like this, though. Out of curiosity, what denomination?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2013