"Nerd Day" at school.....something wrong with that?

This is a hypothetical question, I'm not trying to make a big deal about it but the irony struck me.

My friend's daughter is having "nerd day" at school next week. The kids are supposed to come to school dressed like nerds. Isn't that kind of bullying? Dressing up like smart "nerdy" kids? What about the kids that are constantly called nerds? Wouldn't they feel like everyone dressed up as "nerds" is insulting? I dunno. With all the anti-bullying things nowadays you'd think "nerd day" is a bit weird. Thoughts?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You're kids are still in school? wow mine have been out for three weeks. And no I don't think it's bullying. If they dress up to be funny, wearing bow ties and pocket protectors and silly things because most "nerdy" kids don't really dress that way anymore. There are nerdy kids but not exaggerated like Steve Urkil was, so I think it's harmless.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 4:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I am a proud nerd.... from a family of proud nerds. I think a nerd day would be awesome. If you can't laugh at yourself, you are going to have a very sad life.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• some are proud to be "nerds" mine are!
    they don't look different from the other kids- they just like gaming, and mutiple tv shows, super heroes and movies!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• we had nerd day when i was in highschool. it was hilarious and there was never any drama. we also had a gender bender day when everyone was suppose to dress as the opposite sex. seeing big brawny football players wearing their girlfriend's skimpy dress and tube tops and wearing make up - THAT was awesome. i bet now they don't do it anymore because everyone is so sensitive.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• usually what is meant by "nerd day" isnt "dress up like kids in your class that you think are nerds". it was always the stereotypical nerd that everyone dressed up like...

some of the girls wore plaid skirts with knee socks and clunky shoes. modern day nerds dont follow that stereotype anymore. and as a self-described nerd, who always loved the nerd title, i never was offended by it.  

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Tnm: my school did that as well. Though on any given day you were bound to see that not just that one day. A guy and his date went to prom in the same dress and the head cheerleader brought a blow up astronaut as her date that same year. lol

I don't see the harm in it, it is a over exaggerated stereotype that they are portraying for fun.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• That's true. I'm probably over thinking it I just wondered if I was a kid who was teased about being a "nerd" I might be offended by "nerd day" lol. I think too much. And this school is year-round which is why they are still in. Most schools here got out last week.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Smart kids are not the same as "nerds"..... the smart kids are smart enough not to dress like dorks!

My kids are in school until the 26th... not year round... thanks to the 5 snow days!! UGH!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Nerds rule the world ....
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Everything offends someone today. I don' t know what we are going to do. Can't go out naked, that is offensive, can't dress like a nerd, that is offensive, can't wear your shirt too short, too baggy, too tight, etc. When are we going to stop being so sensitive and teach our kids to not take everything personally!?
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 5:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2013