Why is my kid peeing everywhere?

My son who is WELL old enough to know better at 9 has been peeing everywhere. It was not all of the sudden or anything but it is getting progressively more 'experimental' over the last couple of months. It started with me catching him from time to time peeing in the garden or in the basement drain. the playroom is down there but not bathroom so I just sort of asked him not to and left it alone even though I was sure he still was from time to time. Then one day I walked in and caught him peeing in the sink. I told him that was not acceptable and made him wash it but still did not make a big deal of it. Then I catch him peeing in a container in his bedroom. I got onto him pretty good about that one reminding him again where we use the bathroom. I have still been catching him peeing in the yard and drain so after the bedroom stuff I cracked down HARD. He started getting in trouble for any and all peeing outside of the toilet. We also made a trip to the ped to rule out any issues there. I have twice since then caught him peeing in his underwear int he tub then trying to hide them. He got in trouble for that to. Well I just caught him peeing in the corner of the dining room. On the Carpet- he did not hear me come inside from gardening. He tried to blame the dog. He had no idea I was watching him. I have sent him to his room. I have already got the carpet cleaner pre soaking the spot. What am I going to do with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• When he is at school or anywhere outside the home where does he pee?
    Is the toilet working?
    We had a client who let her home go and the toilet was not working so the children used the bathroom anywhere in the home.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• At school- as far as I know- he uses the toilet. I have caught him peeing at the park and one trying to pee in the parking lot at the mall but I stopped him.

Out toilets are working and clean.

He has no mental issues or delays.

When I ask him way he says 'I dunno. I just like to.'
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• When did it start?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I caught him in the yard the first time back before school even let out... a couple months ago? He told me he 'always' does that so I don't know when it officially started but I started watching him more closely after that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• My brothers went thru this stage (I know as when they were that age, I watched them after school and during the summer) My boys went thru this stage as well.

My response was always that he got to clean up his pee and then clean the bathroom as well since clearly it's not clean to his standard. Turns out he didn't like cleaning the bathroom or his own pee. He soon stopped that disgusting habit.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• It's fun to pee outside! Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Unless he's peeing at the Mall, who cares!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Although they know it earlier, at around this age they discover that they can pee anywhere and girls can not. They might have whizzing contests to see who can shoot further. Outside is fun for even big boys , I mean really who wants to use the big blue booth if they don't really have to. He has discovered that he can go literally anywhere anytime because of the way he is built.
    Keep telling him that it is not acceptable to pee in the basement, in his room, in he sink and be thankful he isn't seeing if he ha pee in the ceiling.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2013