My 14 month old licked the baby swing at the park? Will it make him sick?

So we were walking at the park today and I decided to try and let my 14 month old son swing in the baby swing for the first time. And first thing he did was lick the front of the baby swing. Should I be worried? I'm a bit of a germ a phobe and we are leaving for vacation in a couple of days. I'm really worried he is going to get sick from it. I'm sure it has happened before. But do you think he will be okay? He licks other things and I don't worry so much.. but I've avoided the playground because everyone always talks about how germy they are! Have your toddlers/babies done this? and not gotten sick? I'm probably over reacting.. but I need reassurance!

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Kids' Health

• changes are he will not get sick from that. And if he did get sick there is not way of knowing where he picked it up. 14 month old put everything in their mouths... and they tough everything and then put their hands in their mouth. Germs happen and there is only so much you can do to avoid them short of living in a bubble!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• In all likelihood, he'll be absolutely fine. Kids that age taste stuff, and have been doing so forever.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I usually wouldn't be so worried... but we are leaving for our trip in a couple of days. So I'm just hoping others have been through this and survived.. or something similar.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• The whole world is a disgusting, germy place when you think about it. That's probably not even the nastiest thing he's licked all week. The good thing is that although kids can get sick from some of the germs, they also will build up a great immune system from being exposed to it all. I'm sure he'll be just fine (and that's coming from a total germaphobe who loves my hand sanitizer).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• And OP, I don't even want to think about the stuff my kids got into when they were that age. It makes my skin crawl to think of everything that kids' hands and mouths come into contact with. Just wait until your kid is in school!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I'm sure you are right. I know it will help him build his immune system. I'm just worried about vacation :(

I keep reading horror stories online about kids getting sick after licking a swing at a park or a cart handle. I always use a cart cover at the store.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• He only did it once.. he wasn't sure how to hold on and kinda fell into it.. and he put his mouth on it and licked it. I pulled him out immediately. Probably shouldn't have but my germaphobe nature got the worst of me. Now I'm kicking myself for trying it today.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I understand. I wouldn't even take my kids to visit my grandmother in the nursing home before we went to Hawaii because it would suck to be sick on vacation. Give him some extra vitamin C and hope for the best. He'll probably be just fine.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• He'll be fine. Kids have been putting worse in their mouths for millennia. Don't let your fear of germs keep your kiddo from having fun and being a kiddo--as in, don't avoid playgrounds! Have a good vacation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Thanks everyone! I'm trying to tell myself it will be fine. I'm usually not worried about stuff like this. We have taken him to do many things, although we are adamant about washing hands when we get home and after doing things like that. But I can't wash his tongue!! lol

But it was an empty playground and it was really sunny and hot out... so hopefully the sun would have killed any or most germs that would have been there in the first place!? Maybe. And it's a smaller park in a more suburban city.. not like the large city parks. Although it's typically busier than it was tonight. And I still nurse him twice a day so hopefully my antibodies help him too!

I hope you're all right!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2013