What's a good walking pace?

I started with a 20 minute mile, and have made it to just under an 18 minute mile. I know that's not very fast. What time should I shoot for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I *think* you are supposed to be able walk a 20 min mile while having a conversation easily

When I walk on the treadmill, I do 3.5 miles an hour-for an hour

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• It depends on what you are going for. Are you looking to do a 5k or other type of walk/run? Is it for exercise only? Is it just for you? I do about a 14min/mile when I walk. That is what I got down to before I busted my knee up. It was the pace that burned the amount of calories I needed to burn to lose weight. It also depends on how many calories you take in, if you are walking to lose weight.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• For weight loss you should be walking fast enough that you could not have a conversation comfortably.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I think one that will bring your heart rate up just a bit. Walking is great, but working up to running and lifting weights is the best way to get a full body workout.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Keep increasing the pace. Add in some hills if you can!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• If you want to lose weight what you should do is run until you feel your heart is going to burst out of your chest, then start to cool down with a walk. Walk until you bring your heart rate back down, once you are breathing easy again start the run. I have been doing this and I have been feeling great. I want to run, but I do not have the endurance, so I run until I can't, which is about a 2 blocks.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2013