What do you think?

Is an appropriate age for a young girl to start using tampons? My oldest daughter is 13 and wants to go swimming but I don't feel comfortable with her using tampons at this age. I was 16. Please, NO bashing, only looking for opinions. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Why would anyone bash you? As for the question, do you think she is ready? Will she change it when needed? Tell her what can happen with the possibility of TSS, and me personally wouldn't have a problem if it was my dd. Why miss a week of swimming with her friends, and get embarrassed when one of the boys ask her why she can't go swimming. Or at least I would have been at that age.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• What could we even bash? Teach her proper hygeine to wash her hands before and after and to not flush them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Why do people think there is an age limit on tampons? Some girls do not want to walk around with a mattress in their pants.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I agree with everyone else talk with her about hygiene and dive on in *pun intended*
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I would let my daughter use tampons. She's only five, but I intend to show her how they work when she needs them and let her decide. I never knew what tampons were till I went to college, and I would have loved to have used them instead of trying to figure out creative ways to manage skipping swim practice when I was on the high school team.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• If she has more than a couple periods and is reasonably responsible, I see no reason for her not to use a tampon, BUT it is your call.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• There is no age limit for this, why does it have to be one? it is comfortable and safe as long as she changes it frequently..

Answer by older at 7:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• as someone who had to stand by and watch everyone else swim, because I was not allowed to use tampons at that age (and honestly, don't even remember being told about them)- please let her. I HATED that. I told my daughter about them pretty early on, so that if she needed to use them she would know they were available and how to use them. She hated them though, and chose not to use them for the first 2-3 years or so for the most part.
    But it was her choice to make.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• OMG I am so dreading when I have to worry about this kind of stuff. If I were in your shoes I would do as the others said, teach her about hygiene and proper use and then let her decide if they are comfortable for her.
    When I think of things like this I cringe lol. My daughter is only 7 but has profound autism and mild MR. I have no idea how its going to work for her when she gets her monthly visitor but I can already see screaming, fighting, changing pants every 5 seconds, (she does that with her diapers now and hates being cleaned down there). Most of the time I have to soak her in the tub and spray her with the shower head to get her clean. Oh the joys of growing up..NOT lol
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I used tampons from the beginning. As long as she understands that she can't leave them in all day, she will be fine.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2013