Is my 12 month old too young to be baby gated in his room?

My sister did this with her children and I saw how it taught them how to self play. I'd most definitely completely baby proof his room and it'd be nice that his toys were in there instead of over crowding my little living room. I wouldn't keep him there 24/7, don't want to train him to be a reclusive hermit. So please leave your opinion.

SmrtMommi87

Asked by SmrtMommi87 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Maybe for short periods at a time, but he is awfully young to be kept away from you. Try it and see; if he gets distressed, parole him. Also, be warned he might try to climb out if he wants to get to you badly enough. Make sure there's nothing with sharp corners on either side of the gate he could fall and hurt himself on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• At 12 months i did the play pen. I could still see him but I didn't give him my complete attention just because he wanted it, so for a little while each day he played in his play pen by himself.

Only time I gated him in his room was when he was 18mths old and at bed time, we had to switch him to a toddler bed as he was climbing out of the crib all the time, but wouldn't stay in his bed if he new he could leave his room. If the gate was up he didn't really get up to play he was satisfied to go to bed.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Too young to not be within sight. Self play is fine but use playpen that is just out of his vision but not yours.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Much too young. I never did anything like that and my babies learned to play on their own just fine.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I think its ok as long as you or someone else is with the child.
    miserable695

Answer by miserable695 at 5:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• He can learn to play independently while on the floor and you do something else like make dinner. I would never lock my kids in their room. My kids all play independently for hours. I didn't have to train them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I never did and my children learned how to play alone or with each other just fine. We only used the gate to keep them out of the kitchen. I wouldn't do it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• for little bits, maybe, like a 5 minute phone call or wash your hair.

its understandable, i suppose, since younger than that you CAN safely leave them in a crib if you want to poop in private or let the cable guy work faster. but a year plus and crib climbing terrifies me
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My kids would never play alone except in the den where they can peek in at me in the kitchen. Try it & see how it works out. If he can't get hurt & he doesn't mind then why not?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2013