Would you be concerned and is the school going to far?

my 6 year old just finished kindergarten and during the school year he had a girl that he really liked and played every day with her and some other kids also...one day on the playground she fell and got hurt my son went over to her helped her gave her a quick hug and a little peck on the cheek and told her it was going to be OK; the issue is the recess aide saw him do this and made him sit on the wall the rest of the recess and wrote him up. Do you think this was necessary or did she go too far?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Way too far to write the child up. Many kids show affection in my Sons Kindergarten class. The girls even kiss his cheeks & hands. The Teacher just says "hands to ourselves"! She never made a mountain out of a molehill. BTW! Welcome back! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• She went to far but rules are there for a reason and sadly they can't bend them a little even for something as innocent as what your son did. That was so sweet of him.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I wouldn't be concerned, but would talk to him about why they made him sit at the wall. It wasn't the helping up and all of that, it was the kiss. Rules are rules.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• These are kindergartners! I think it was sweet for him to do that. But we live in such a bad time for innocent kids. I would think a reminder should've been sufficient. My 3 yr old son felt moved to hug the babysitter's daughter, who was the same age as he, the first time he saw her. He's just an affectionate kid and sweet on girls and only has brothers, not really even been around little girls much yet.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• That's too far. Maybe just a littlel talk about how kissing at school - even to make someone feel better is not okay.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Wow, what a shame that we live in a world, where something so sweet & innocent is turned into a potential crime! >:[ I'm betting he learned his nurturing ways from you & was just doing what he thought a good friend should do. Too bad he got in trouble for that. I guess you will have to let him know that hugs & kisses are for family only.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I think that it went too far, with kids that young and meaning it as innocently as they do. Smaller children are naturally more affectionate, and it's a shame that we have to stifle that. Stinks that what was a sweet gesture was punished. I understand the rules and everything. Just hate that it "has" to be that way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Well they have no kiss rules in place for a reason. There's been kids charged with sexual harassment for doing simple innocent stuff like that. So I guess a wall time out is fine.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• She went too far.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• It is school policy, while it might be stupid he is lucky he wasn't suspended and only had to do timeout. I would make sure he understands he didn't get in trouble for helping her up, only for the kiss.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2013