Did you know babies in Finland sleep in boxes?

http://updatednews.ca/2013/06/03/why-finnish-babies-moslty-sleep-in-cardboard-boxes/

In Finland, babies sleep in boxes. This is an interesting article. I'm in no way advocating the welfare state here in the U.S. but the article does give a bit of history as to why they began this.

I'm doing this on my phone so I can't do the clickable link. Enjoy the read. No question, other than my title question, just sharing.

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I slept in a laundry basket
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My first thought was, "that's awful." But, when I read and saw the pic in the article and the necessary items that were government issued, it's kinda sweet. Different, though. The article even credits the infant mortality rate drop to these boxes.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Yes I am well aware of the tradition.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• It's not just a box though, it's like a portable crib with a mattress. And, it even states that most babies just nap in it. I think it's sweet.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Awh! That really is sweet!
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My son slept in a drawer when he was born.Not sure any of it is any different than a bassinet

Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I love that they do this...to give each child an equal start in life...
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• They also leave their babies outside. Or is that in Norway.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 12:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• they have a low rate of SIDS that ppl say is because of this. i think its more because their vacc list is almost half if what US is.

i think its kinda cool. first thought it was strange then read what is given and i think its great they give those items to every baby born. shows that at least someone cares.
    all we get is a requirement to watch a shaken baby syndrome movie.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• "all we get is a requirement to watch a shaken baby syndrome movie"

Really? Where is that? My last baby was born two years ago and I remember getting a booklet and lots of pamphlets on various things like shaken baby syndrome, breast feeding and bottle feeding, diapering, swaddling, and the numerous vaccinations.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2013