how can i make the child be interested in reading books or to do some educational activities rather than playing always in 5 hours?

aomans

Asked by aomans at 11:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try to make it fun for your child. Play special games so they think they are playing, but they are learning at the same time.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• All play is educational, even if it's not obvious from the outside looking in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• be happy he rather play then sit and watch tv and play video games
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Do you read to him?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I agree with NP. All play is educational. Set aside 30 min a day to read to him and have him read to you. Right before bed is usually a good time for this.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Be interested in it yourself.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 12:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• How old is the child? You can weave a lot of educational moments into playtime. My daughter and I were doing playdough yesterday, and she wanted me to create things she could flatten, cut up, or squash. So I did, but I used the stamps that came with the playdough set to make numbers on each of my creations, and she had to read the numbers to me before she could destroy them. Not long ago we had a math picnic. We packed up finger foods and ate out on the porch swing, and I made a game out of creating simple math questions with the finger foods. If you have seven Cheerios and the cereal monster eats three, how many are left? If you have two grapes and I have three, how many do we have together? She loved it, and it didn't occur to her that she might be learning something. Also, if your child asks you questions, show him that you can look up answers you don't know at the library or online. (cont.)
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My daughter asked me the other day if dragonflies live in the water or on land. I didn't have a clue, so I told her that and then looked up a video on Google that we could watch together. (Dragonflies start out as eggs in the water and live on land as adults, by the way.) Not only did she get her answer, but I also showed her that I was interested in learning and that discovering something new could be fun. I often let her help me cook or do housework, just so she's acquiring new skills. Education is a matter of overall outlook, not just memorizing the alphabet or math facts.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Go to the library with your little one and check out books that interest him/her - then read to him/her. It is the best way to generate a lifelong interest in reading.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• ^^^All of the above- the only thing I'd add is the Leap Pad. My kids liked that when they were younger & it's very educational.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2013