Does your recorded voice bother you?

I'm supposed to be doing a voice over track right now (which is why I'm here, because PROCRASTINATION ROCKS). At least the first 5 I'll end up throwing out because I have to get over it sounding like whatever it is I sound like to everyone else, before I'll be able to listen for the real problems I need to edit around.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I can't stand the way my voice sounds recorded
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Yes. I sound abrasive as well, articulately when I leave a message. I have listened to myself and thought, 'there is no way in hell I would be friends with a bitch like that'. LOL. I can't stand my recorded voice.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• That should say particularly when leaving a message.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• YES- I think I sound whiny or something-it's weird
    I wonder how people even put up with being around me with what my voice sounds like to them

*I wonder why it sounds totally different to ourselves?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Yes, I hate my voice.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• *I wonder why it sounds totally different to ourselves?

The easy explanation - it's amplified in your head. Same way you can hear yourself breathing or chewing really loudly when you plug your ears, but someone sitting 5 feet away wouldn't hear it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I can't stand the way I sound. I don't know how others can stand listening to me either. LOL
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I HATE listening to myself. So much in fact, I quit a really good job where my phone calls were recorded and played back for training and evaluations.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Lol Yes I know exactly what you mean. The first recording of my singing was on less than stellar equipment. It took years for me to allow a recording and even then it was done without my knowledge. I still have trouble hearing my own voice as someone else hears it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• yes, i do. however it is quite amusing when Ben the Dog or Talking Tomcat repeats it back to me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2013