Do you think my mom is being less supportive when she encourages me to skip class?

I'm taking math in the summer which starts Monday. I was complaining on facebook how I need to get away before the quarter starts. She suggests that I go to San Francisco with her and my brother. First of all, I love my mom and my brother, but being stuck in a car with BOTH of them is not my idea of a good time. They'll probably spend the entire trip ignoring me anyway.

Second, they are going the week I start classes and she suggested that I skip the first week of class. Make up for it. I don't know, maybe I'm just being mellow-dramatic, but sometimes it feels like she doesn't realize how important this is to me. She thinks I'm just getting my bachelor's for the hell of it. She's always telling me to drop classes, that I can't handle the load. It's like...thanks for the confidence mom!

I realize that in this case she's only trying to help, but if she really wanted me to go she'd plan the trip on a day I am not in class. Like a weekend perhaps? I don't know. Do you think she's just trying to help or being less supportive?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 1:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• I think she's trying to help, but not thinking it through. Miss the first week of a summer course and you might just get dropped from it with no refund.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• A week of summer classes = 2 weeks to a month of regular classes, depending on how often you go in that week. She probably thinks she's telling you what you want to hear - does she have any clue about how summer classes work?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I think you maybe are reading things into it that are not there.

I think she heard you saying you were all stressed out and she was trying to help you feel better.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I think she was just trying to help. I dont think its being less supportive
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• That's not getting off to a good start w/ your classes. I wouldn't miss them. Besides, summer classes tend to move a lot faster & falling behind right from the start is not a good idea. I don't know your mom well enough to be able to tell you if she means well. But I know I wouldn't take her suggestions on this matter. GL w/ school :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I would go on the trip. Time with family is always not enough.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I think if you have a problem with your mother suggesting that you join her on a vacation she had already planned to help you relax before school starts then maybe you should stop bitching about needing a vacation on facebook.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Did you not read the question? I don't have a problem with her inviting me on the trip, I have a problem with her telling me to skip class. And I said I need to go away BEFORE classes start. Please read the whole question before being a bitch about it.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• So she's supposed to change HER plans with your brother to San Francisco  and go earlier to accommodate you then?

Sorry doll but it's not always about YOU. She offered to take you, and you acknowledged in your post you realize SHE WAS ONLY TRYING TO BE HELPFUL. So what is the real problem here? She isn't changing her plans to revolve around your life or you think she shouldn't have even bothered asking because it isn't being supportive in teh manner YOU want it to be?

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• If you don't get it than please just shut the hell up. It wasn't about the trip it was about her telling me to skip class. How many more times do you want me to repeat that?
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2013