We are moving in a month, how do I tell my 3 1/2 year old?

We got this house because I was fostering two additional little girls. They went back to their mother and we were left with two extra bedrooms.

Those rooms quickly became "toy rooms" and now my daughter has half a house full of toys.

We will be down-sizing and thus getting rid of all the additional clutter toys she has acquired.

Those of you who followed my pregnancy posts know there are too many toys here.

Well, we're moving and some of it has to go. Do I explain it? Slowly get rid of things without her knowledge? Explain that we will be moving to a smaller house?

We all have to get rid of things, I'm not being a horrible mom and denying her toys- she will still have PLENTY. Just the bigger stuff we won't have room for. (and the choking hazard toys while I'm at it)

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't tell her about the toys. She is pretty young and at that age it's pretty much out of sight, out of mind. You would know her favorite things, so of course those will go with you. Just set those aside. I would suggest that she hang out with someone else away from the garage sale so she can't see other people walking off with her toys. Put a lot of them in boxes so they are in a place and when you get to the new place, her discovering what is in the boxes will likely be more interesting than wondering where the pink thingy-ma-bobit with the whirly-gig is.  Most kids hate to get rid of their stuff, even if they don't play with it.  If it just turns up missing, they don't really dwell on it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Maybe she would feel better if she helps you box or bag them & drive them to a women & children's shelter. If there's time to do a garage sale, you could sell some & put the $$ in her piggy bank. (ooops- is that a sore subject?! lol :p) Even tho moving is a real pain, you can make it an adventure for her & tell her how she can help set up/decorate her new room! GL w/ the move :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• mrsmom has a great idea!

Answer by older at 2:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Tell her you are going on an adventure and that this will be a little different but so exciting because we will see new things, etc.
    Tell her that she is growing so fast and some of the toys she has are for baby girl and not big girls like she is.
    Maybe have a garage sale and keep the money from the sale of her things separate and let her pick out something new for the new home.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I agree with mrsmom110 too. Tell her she can have the money to buy new toys when you move into your new place.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Calendars have worked well with my son. Explain that you are moving into a new home that isn't so big, this one is just too big for your family. Then mark the calendar of moving day and that you have a lot of packing and work to do to get ready for the move. Once you pack something and don't unpack it she might just forget she even had it. We then cross off each day as it passes. Might help with some anxiety.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 2:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I would just tart telling her we are moving into a smaller house and she has to get rid of a lot of toys. She has t many anyways. Basically be honest

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• On the move, tell her that she will have a brand new room and maybe get her some of those wall stickers that she will get to put on her new walls. Something to get her excited about a new room.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I guess I wrote out my question more as how do I tell my daughter we have to downsize. I'm more concerned about telling her we will have a new home. And the chaos of all the packing. Which I should do right now!

There will be a garage sale.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• That is a good idea. I know she wont notice half the crap we get rid of. I just have to keep the special toys and gifts. Packing sucks!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2013