Why?

Why does our society feel the need to have a phone attached to their face?

Seems like everywhere I go I see someone's nose in their phone. And what I really think is funny is they pretty much just walk around with it up to their ear and they aren't even talking. It's like they have to show people or want people to think they are important.

Growing up we didn't have them and I didn't have a cell phone up until I started working where I am now. I had the same flip phone for about 4-5 yrs until my boss pretty much went out and bought the iphone.

I guess I am becoming old fashioned. I hate the fact that people can't even sit down for an evening without the phones being brought out. And some of my family is guilty of this and it drives me batty... lol

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Technology

• Yep- it's definitely an epidemic. My main concerns are lack of face time & lack of concentration on driving. Not to mention way too much personal info just out there for the whole world wide web to see!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Yes, you are right about that, but one must keep up with the times and not be left behind.....this is the future, but I think technology although it has brought a lot of good it has also brought a lot of bad...no personal one on one communication with humans anymore..I hear ya, but it is good to keep up or you will be left behind.....

Answer by older at 2:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Could it be that people are afraid to be alone
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

Answer by Dardenella 6 minutes ago

^^^ I've seen people engrossed in their gadgets when they are surrounded by real, live people willing to interact face to face. That's what I don't get. Kinda reminds me of WALL-E
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Like it or not, we're fairly tethered. I'm not sure how to make it better but, in my case, I have a cellphone, a pager and then I can also be paged via my cellphone.

My work is very dependent on the ability of others to contact me whenever, wherever. It's not ideal but it's my reality and the reality of the doctors and nurses that I work with.

I guess my point is that it's not all a personal time issue....sometimes work keeps us firmly entrenched
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My work is very dependent on the ability of others to contact me whenever, wherever.

That combined with the new parenting philosophy that your children should never be out of communication longer than it takes to pee is responsible for the majority of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Amen, sister! Hang up and live, people!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2013