diapers and bf

how many of each diaper should a newborn have each day? (wet or soiled) Im breast feeding and dd is 3 days old. i want to make sure shes getting enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 3 days old your milk may not have even come in yet. My dd was born on a monday and my milk came in that friday.

A newborn should have around 1 stool a day, but it's common for breastfed babies to go up to a week without any bowel movements because breastmilk is more efficient then formula so therefor there is less waste.

According to dr sears it's around 4-6 disposable diapers, 6-8 cloth diapers (wet) a day. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my milk came in today....shes been pooping a little after each feeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• yes, my dd did that for like the first month. I swear she'd poop 10 min after each feeding lol! It's their body regulating itself... but it definitely seems like a waste of diapers doesn't it? haha.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Thats normal, with my dd, it seemed like everytime I changed a dirty diaper she would dirty another one immediately after...its like she thought it was a game! lol, she still does it sometimes! You might try the cloth diapers! They are great if you have the stomach for them. We tried them a little after she was first born, but honestly it only lasted a few days. ha. We use the Pamper's Sensitive now. They have a little yellow line on them that turns green with either a wet or dirty diaper! Loves them!!! All babies are going to have different amounts of dirty diapers. I never worried that much with mine...well when she didn't go for a few days and seemed like she was straining is when I got scared, but my pediatrician says that breastfed babies can safely go up to 11 days without a bowel movement! Weird huh! Congrats on the new lil one momma!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 12:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my son pooped all the time like probably 10 poopy diapers a day. but then again he bf all the time too
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 12:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• a baby should be having as many wet diapers a day as they are old (up to 6 days I believe) keep a journal for about a month.. it helped me out big time!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• oh it does vary from baby to baby.. the first 2 weeks my son as born I was changing his diaper about 14 times a day (had to change him more often because of his circumcision)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son was pooping atleast 6-9 times a day for the first month after that it was once a day and now he's 7 months and poops once every 4-5 days. He is also breastfed.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• about 10 poopy diapers is normal for a breastfeeding baby.

i was half breast-/half bottle feeding and he only had 1-3 poopy diapers/day.. but at least 4-5 wet diapers.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2009