Supplemental Nursing Systems and relactation?

I was ebf my dd until she was about 3 months old (roughly 12 weeks, I think). I stopped because I was losing my milk, even though I was pumping when she wasn't latched on and she was latched on almost all the time. After about a week and a half of her screaming all the time and not wetting quite as many diapers, we finally gave in and gave her formula. Since then, I tried fenugreek and mother's milk tea. Neither seemed to help a great deal, but I gave up after about a week because every time my dd would get near my breasts, she would scream bloody murder and try to get away from them. I've been devastated and felt like a total failure since then. I want to try to start breastfeeding again (it's been about a month and a half since I stopped) and I was wondering if the SNS's made by Medela might help her to latch on again, if I can start producing milk again. Has anyone had any success with relactating this way? Thanks.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a great idea, and I suggest it to every mom who is thinking of relactation. Seek out your local La Leche League as well. You need determination, and a good support system.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Wow, I don't know about that. There is a group on here about this very topic so you should search for it. Also call a lactation consultant.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I've tried getting in touch with an LC. I can't find any anywhere near me. I think the nearest one I found that was still practicing is like 3+ hours away. That's where the nearest LLL is and they're only there like twice a month because it's at the YMCA, apparently, and I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone, so for all I know they aren't there anymore. I've tried e-mailing the 3 people on that site several times and haven't gotten a response that way or by phone.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• YES. A supplemental nursing system WILL help.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...we've helped plenty of moms just like you.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Also the hospital where you delivered may have free resources for you. I know my hospital has a free meeting every Tuesday and Thursday that I can attend if I need help bf'ing.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had some issues in the begining breastfeeding and my daughter did some of the same thing. I personally had to get my milk fully going by using a breastpump before I could start her back at the breast. In the hospital I used the Medela starter SNS and it was very difficult to use and pissed my little one off, the lactation nurse that I saw said that this can happen when using these.

My daughter was 4lbs 12oz when born so this added to the trouble with breastfeeding, she could latch on but was very hard to stay on or really get enough in her mouth to feed properly.
    boddah1

Answer by boddah1 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009