Texas pastor: Donate to fix my helicopter and get a new car from God

A Texas pastor is being accused of “blasphemy” after he sent out a fundraising plea promising that God would give a new car in “52 days or 52 weeks” to anyone who chipped in $52 to fix his helicopter.

“Do you need better transportation?” New Light Church Bishop Ira V. Hilliard asks in a letter obtained by The Smoking Section. “Do you have a dream vehicle or luxury automobile you long to purchase?”

“We have an urgent transportation need that the Lord said can be an opportunity for you to see His favor and His wisdom released to help you,” he continues. “Scripture teaches when you give to a Kingdom need God will raise up someone to use their power, their ability and their influence to help you.”

story clicky

Question #1  What the What?!

Question #2  Why does a church need a helicopter?  

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• What an asshole. I hope people didn't really fall for it. I hope he is forced to give all the money back if so.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I'm sure there's a good explanation for this, the rest of us just "don't understand god".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• #1: I have no idea.

#2: I don't know, but out of the aircraft it owns he is opting to ask for $ for repairs to the least expensive of the fleet:

Aviation experts estimated the value of the church’s helicopter at $1 million. New Light also owns a Hawker jet valued at $2 million and an aviation hangar valued at $3 million.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I'm surprised he isn't being investigated for Fraud or running a scam.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Wow, that's awful, on many levels... Praying on those who donated, the lack of a NEED for a helicopter, making promises for God that he has to know won't be kept...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• "New Light also owns a Hawker jet valued at $2 million and an aviation hangar valued at $3 million."

Because this really reflects what Jesus had in mind....

Couldn't that money all have gone to better places?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Oh I'm sure he's intent on "keeping them" anyone who paid to help fix the helicopter WILL get a new car....for the church....which will remain in the pastor's possession....
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Yeah, the Lord said. I'm sure He did. *Shaking head in disgust.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Damn, I hate living in TX.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2013