How much computer time?

My stepson is here--the fact that we have access to a swimming pool and the Internet won out over him being mad at his dad. Anyway, his dad and I are trying to figure out what some good limits are for his computer time because without limits, he'd be online all day playing games and watching stupid videos. How much computer time do you give your teenagers? In what way to you restrict access? Do you set controls for only certain times of the day? When are they?

In the past, we set the computer so it would only log on for a few hours in the evening, but my stepson is saying that's not enough anymore because he doesn't have Internet access at home so the only time he gets to do anything online is at our house. Is that a valid point or a ploy?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• We have been struggling with this too since school got out. My teen thinks he should be allowed on it all day everyday. I think they new rule is going to be two hours a day... PERIOD! He has a laptop he uses, so when it is time for it to be done... I take it and put it away in my room. If he takes it out again... he loses it for the next day. He thinks I am the meanest mom on the block... but oh well!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I don't quite have a teen yet, but my oldest is 12. So far, I don't set any real limits on how much time they can spend online, because they tend to self-limit pretty well. They spend plenty of time outside playing, in the pool, heading to the lake as a family and with our friends, going to the movies, etc.

I would say that probably 2-3 hours would be good. I'd say maybe 4 at the max, and even that only if he has a good reason, like research for some kind of project or something.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• we let our kids have it as long as chores get done, and it is summer time
    *during shcool -they can't be on it after a certain time

My son jsut plays WOW, Starcraft and watches gaming videos on youtube mostly so I don't really worry about what he's doing- I've never seen him doing much else on it - and he doesn't really get into any trouble so we let him be for the most part
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• * he also leaves and hangs out with friends and isn't as worried about being on it as he used to be!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I have a nearly 12 year old. His limits are 2 hours per day that can't be taken consecutively.

He also loses time for misbehavior.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My 13 yo is so busy that she's not on much during the day, but I found she was up blabbing all night with her pals so in the summer she is cut off automatically at 10pm and it comes back on at 6 am. I have verizonfios and it lets me set up wifi access limits that are specific to her devices, so I can be on even though she is turned off.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2013