How can i overcome my fear of public speaking?

What worked for you?

I need to overcome this to advance in my job.

The last time i did it my voice was cracking and i was shaking. I felt humiliated and like people thought less of me.

I am paralyzed with the fear I'll have a panic attack, and totally humiliate myself! I can't do it! I want to be confident. My coworkers are great public speakers, which makes me feel worse!

HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• I have always heard that imagining your audience to be naked helps.....it is mind over matter, take all your confidence and let it loose, your voice might crack a few times, but you will get better at it. Let them see you are genuine and it will work out...

Answer by older at 7:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• At work I had a guest speaker come in and talk about public speaking to my team. The one thing that really stuck out to me that she said was "Fear is a choice". You can choose to overcome it or to let it control you. I also did an interview at work today and the interviewee was telling us about how he overcame his shyness and fear of public speaking. He took a speech class and was forced to present. The more he did it the more he felt comfortable doing it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Speak in public more.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Alcohol helps!  LOL  JJ.  Talk in front of people more.

Answer by louise2 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• By doing as much of it as possible.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I M PARALYZED BY FEAR I 'LL HAVE A PANIC ATTACK AND BY PUBLICALLY HUMILIATED!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• OK I know it is scary, but you need to take a public speaking course and get over it. If you want to advance at your job invest in yourself by learning this skill. It is just that, a skill. You learn the basics, you practice, you get better. You may have been paralyzed with fear at the thought of driving on the highway when you got your driver's permit, but you learned, you practiced and acquired the skills required to do it. This is the same type of thing.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• The last time I did it was a disaster so it's like a phobia now! Are there groups I could join of people like me? I'd feel more comfortable trying if everyone shared my fear.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Practice alot & know your speech very well-get comfortable with the topic and when u speak, look straight ahead
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 9:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Fear of public speaking is the number one ranked fear, ranked above fear of death! You are not alone and there will be other people in your class who feel the same way.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2013