Can physician in S.C. refuse to call in a refill on a Rx because you owe $25.00 ?

The Rx is for Zoloft 100 mg nightly; and I had been out for a few days. Suddenly stopping this med has detrimental effects.

Sassy709

Asked by Sassy709 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Health

• Someone I work with owed her children's doctor office some money and they would not see them until she paid the balance.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• So what are people to do? This was $25.00; that is 25 dollars...........I had been sending them $20.00 a month and this was the balance left. I personally feel something should be done. And as far as a child, that is just WRONG. I can't believe what this world has come to.
    Sassy709

Comment by Sassy709 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• It was the same for her. She was making payments than got into a financial situation where she missed 2 months of payments.

Maybe you can borrow the $25 so you can get your meds.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• My sister owed her doctor $19... so because of that he refused to see her when she was desperately ill. He also refused to sigh some paperwork that said her condition was life threatening... it was. So she didn't qualify for the short term disability that she pays into each month. She lost six weeks of work before he would see her. She had it paid off after two weeks and it took another four weeks to "process" it. Greedy fucking bastards! She finally switched doctors.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• This to me is a bit inhumane, in the scheme of things what is $25. to a doctor?

Answer by older at 7:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Seems to me they could refill it in one month supplies as long as the payments are being made.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• This is so outrageous I want to put my boxing gloves on or picket their office. $25 is nothing to a doctor. It can't buy anything he or she is used to in their lifestyle. I am just baffled and angry. I did borrow the money and got my medication. I wonder if a letter to the AMA would do any good.
    Sassy709

Comment by Sassy709 (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I would call and ask to speak with the office manager. And explain to them the seriousness of stopping an antidepressant without weaning off of it. Ask them if it is their regular practice to withhold meds for money.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I'm gonna be the bad guy here.. If you don't pay your electric bill they shut it off, if you don't pay your rent they evict you.. This is no different and while it may be just 25.00, do you have any idea how many others have not paid their balance. It adds up to a huge amount. I agree, this is outrageous, it sucks. I have had to pay my balance before my son would be seen so yes, I understand. It is frustrating :(
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I'm sorry to say this, but you will probably have to go to ER. I had a Dr. do that to me one time too. I owed money. I went as far as I could with the sudden withdrawal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2013