Can someone, in a serious manner, explain Mormon Temple Garments to me?

I tried looking it up but I feel half of what I read was not true, and exaggeration or just a poor explanation... because I am still confused. I just want to learn. Please excuse my ignorant questions.

*Do you really have to earn them by proving you never touch yourself? If so, how does one prove this?
*Is it true you have to wear them all the time except for sports, shower and sex w/ your spouse?
*What is the purpose? Is it really a requirement to be with your family in the afterlife?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• No need to make fun. This is very serious to the people who believe this way.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Um... I was pretty sure this site was for everyone. Is it Mormon hostile here?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I apologize for the anon - we don't typically have people respond that way here. Sadly, I'm not sure any Mormons post here, so I'm not sure if you'll get the answers you're looking for. However, I do know that there are some Mormons, or ex Mormons, in the Mom Confessions group, if that helps.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• "Not at all, but it is open to all, so you cant control the response you are going to get."

Doesn't give you free license to be rude, though.

This is why anons should only be allowed in certain categories
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Thank you Bandgeek!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• lol, honestly I wish I could do more for ya, but since I don't have the answers hopefully someone else will. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I would ask my hubby (he's ex mormon) but I'm not sure even HE knows. (He quit when he was 8 years old so I'm not sure if it's something he was ever taught).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Have you tried looking at a MORMON site? From what I gather they are symbolic (so not necessary) and are worn as a reminder of the vows or promises made to God while in the temple (Similar to a Catholic rosary or Nun's habit).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I don't know much about them except for my former boss making fun of her in-laws for wearing them at her house when they visit. However, I did notice an ad over to the right about mormon.org. You may want to look there.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• *Do you really have to earn them by proving you never touch yourself? If so, how does one prove this?

LOL, going to have to send that one to my excommunicated LDS friend. Afaik, it has nothing to do with that, it's more like their equivalent of Catholic confirmation. Devout people do wear them all the time - think of it like a wig for an Orthodox Jew or long hair for a fundamentalist. It's no different than any other modesty ritual of any other religion - they do it to resist and prevent temptation while remaining mindful of "priorities", whether you agree with them or not.

Not everyone is as devout about it as some. Out of all his family, I think only one of his siblings bothers, and I only know about it because he gives her a hard time about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2013