Ive been breast feeding for a wk and 1 day. It hurts so bad and now im ready to put on the bottle. Whats the best and painless way to stop

Bmichelle03

Asked by Bmichelle03 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Before stopping, how about consult a lactation specialist to make sure your baby is latching on properly.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Correct the latch
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I'm with JeremysMom, check with a lactation specialist. I believe there are lactation groups on here, check them out.

I breastfed my boys and when I 1st started, it hurt but then when I got him to latch on properly, things were better.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• What hurts? Is it the latch, engorgement or possible infection? Unfortunately, I don't know of a less painful way to do it cold turkey like this. Easiest way to make it as painless as possible is to wean. A lactation consultant is probably the best idea.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• I was in tons of pain with my oldest son for the first 3 or 4 weeks. My nipples were scabbed over, and I wanted to cry every time he needed to nurse. A lactation consultant was a total lifesaver! She taught us both (remember, the baby is learning to nurse too!) how to nurse better and without pain. I healed up, and we continued breastfeeding with no more problems. Before you give up, I would suggest seeing a lactation consultant. They can help so much.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Honestly... it just hurts for the first part. As soon as your nipples get used to being used, it gets better. Just two more weeks and all your hard work will pay off. Do call the lactation consultant. She can help you out tremendously. Don't give up, it will get better soon.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Sometimes they get really engorged and feels like there on fire. My right breast isnt producing milk really just a little and she wont feed from that side. Its not for everybody and think im just one off those ppl unfortunately!
    Bmichelle03

Comment by Bmichelle03 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I completely agree; contact a lactation consultant. There should be some available at the hospital where you delivered, or look up La Leche League online. My lactation consultant made the difference between failure and partial success when I was nursing. I had to supplement, but I was able to give my baby about half breastmilk for her first year. It was painful at first, but that ws because I wasn't getting the nipple far enough into the baby's mouth, so she was just gnawing on the end of it with her gums. I was sore, she was hungry, nobody was happy. Imprving the latch helped a lot.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I have seen a specialist 3 times and it just isnt working out for me...idk wat im doin wrong but she' ll latch on to one side better than the other one and then let it go and when i try to put her back on correctly it hurts and makes me feel weak
    Bmichelle03

Comment by Bmichelle03 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Before you throw in the towel, please drop by the breastfeeding moms group. We've helped a lot of moms with problems even worse than yours.

The engoregement is normal... feeding on demand no matter how long and no matter how often is the fix.

Latch pain often is related to tongue tie... most docs miss it and if your lactation consultant isn't IBCLC, then she's not worth seeing. (IBCLC = Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Seeing anything less is like getting brain surgery done by an intern. **grin**)

It's normal for baby to prefer a side, too. Not a problem.

If you REALLY want to quit, see your doc for estrogen birth control. Start it tomorrow, dry by Sunday. It will hurt, I'm afraid. Tylenol for that.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2013