What constitutes as a relationship?

What makes a relationship? Is it how much time you spend together? Is it how much you talk? Is it just the feeling you have? Opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• There are all kinds of relationships. There's the occasional hanging out kind. There's the steady dating kind. There's the living together kind. There's the married kind. There's even the divorced kind... history is a connector too.

re·la·tion·ship
    /riˈlāSHənˌSHip/
    Noun
    The way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected.
    The state of being connected by blood or marriage.
    Synonyms
    relation - connection - connexion - kinship - affinity

Answer by gdiamante at 12:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Mutual decision where one party has asked the other to be in a relationship with them. (Aka a Will you be my boyfriend/girlfriend) etc.
    I would say just referencing one another as that and having others reference you as it in front of the person you are interested in having a relationship with but according to an ex from many years ago; because he never officially asked me out we were never officially dating. meaning it wasn't "cheating". even though all his friends called me his girlfriend in front of him and we referenced each other as "girlfriend/boyfriend" so I don't want to be accused of giving you false information especially as there are guys out there that are like this.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• You mean a couple type relationship? I guess it's different depending on the people involved. I was married once to someone I loved very much. At the time, with him, it mattered a whole lot to me that we were legally married in a church, before our families and friends and our God. I'm with someone else now who I also love very much, but we don't have the same need for marriage. Both relationships have vaidity and importance in mylife, in who I am and who I will be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I have a relationship with most of the ladies here on CM. We interact on a daily basis.
    You need to be more specific.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• There are too many factors to define a relationship here. Individuals have their own ideas of what makes a relationship, and there are different levels of relationships. The two people involved in the relationship need to discuss and decide together what constitutes a relationship for them and if they are in one or not.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Relationship is a very broad term and pretty much means whatever a person chooses it to mean. I prefer to be more specific in defining who are the people in my life. I have friends; I have acquaintances; I have relatives; I have associates; I have a husband. So just to say I am in a relationship can mean pretty much anything.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• When you and the person you are with have a connection. You both have the same goals in life. Such as to get married, have kids, go to college, whatever it may be. You both can sit there and talk for hours about what seems like anything. You will just feel it when it happens. A relationship is meant to build you and the other person up. If it does not do that then it is a bad relationship and just not meant to be. A relationship is nothing like the fairy tales but it is something that when you are in and it is good, you wonder where has this been all my life.
    There will be bumpy roads. There will be times that you will want to throw in the towel. But if the relationship is a good one, trust me, it is worth fighting for.
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 9:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I agree there is alot of different kinds of relationships. I often have wondered the term as well. Because I'm not dating this particular person, but we are friends. I consider it a relationship in a board term.. But, as time goes I think relationship term gets confusing.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2013