Why does my son hold in his poop? adult content

My son is 3yrs old. He has been pooping on the toilet since 1yrs old but in the past year and a 1/2 he has been holding in his poop. I have been giving him fiber supplements and fiber chews regularly. This has caused an increase in gas and bloating which I can see is very uncomfortable for him. I have tried activia yogurt also. He goes maybe once every 5-7days. When I can get him on the toilet he cries and throws a complete fit! I have to hold him on the toilet so he doesn't get poop everywhere which ends up happening anyway. I've tried reading books, singing, SpongeBob on the computer, everything to try and keep him calm but when he feels the pain in his stomach he starts crying and trying to get off the toilet. I have even put Vaseline there to help "loob" up the area since these stools are massive. As a last resort I have used suppositories...traumatizing much? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why? Because it hurts him. Try a stool softener like Colace and ease up on the fiber a bit. If he's getting gassy and bloating it's not helping. Fiber needs to be balanced with a lot of water. Offer him more water too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• fiber can make it worse if he isn't drinking enough water with it.
    he holds it because it hurts and he doesn't want to go.
    have you talked to the doctor?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I would recommend seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist. He needs help and understanding. If you are giving him exta fiber and he has not increased his fluid intake then you may be making things worse for him. Research encopresis and get in to a specialist to have him exray end and discuss ways to help him. The massive hard stool is hard and painful to pass. I don't blame him for not wanting to go poop.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• He could be trying to control the situation. If he's not really wanting to be potty trained it can cause several issues. back off the the training just a little bit. to see if he doesn't hold his poop. He could be constipated to and with that need to make sure he's getting enough fiber and staying way from too much dairy. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2013