I babysit, is this mom overboard??

I babysit out of my home and could use the money right now. I talked to this mother of 5 children last night on the phone, just keeping her 9 month old. She gave me 'the list" that she goes by so to speak. Asked if I sanitized the toys daily? No weekly. Asked if I watched the kids continuosly. Besides having to use the bathroom and fixing their lunches or doing thing for them, yes. Told me she wanted her sons diaper changed every 45 minutes, no matter what. I know I am leaving some things out. These are the ones that stuck out to me. I can understand toys being sanitized, but daily? I know mmany babysitters just sit kids in front of t.v's and just do their own thing. So I understand that. Changing diapers every 45 minutes, no matter what? A little too far, JMO. FOr example last week one of my children was bitten by another. I sent the child home. The mother was fine with it because the one that had gotten bitten had bit before also. I just try to imagine if this were this other woman how forgiving she would be. I just have that run away feeling in my gut.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2013 in Money & Work

• Sorry, meant to put it in money and work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Sounds like she might be very difficult to work for. And you can't be changing your standards for every mom for whom you sit. It would probably be best to let her go somewhere else.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• She's entitled to want what she wants for her kid, but you don't have to change the way you run your business for her. I would just tell her that you have a schedule you follow for diaper changes (unless it actually needs to be changed outside of schedule, of course), meals, toy sanitizing, etc. and that if she brings her son to you, her son will be on that schedule with the other kids. She can decide if she wants to loosen up a bit and let you handle things the way you handle them, or she can keep looking and try to find someone who will give in to all her demands and care for him exactly the way she wants.

I would not change things for her, though.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Always trust your gut!! This lady sounds a bit over the top... might prove to be more trouble then she's worth.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Well personally some of her demands are not bad. My son goes to a daycare and I think that the toys should be sanitized and that the kids should be watched closely. I know that my son is a hand full and if not watched will get into things he should not. I think that having the kids you keep on a schedule is extremely important.
    NO BABYSITTER SHOULD JUST SIT A KID INFRONT OF A TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and changing the diapers frequently. That is mandatory in a daycare. I know that at one my aunt worked at they changed every hour. They wrote down if it was a pee or a poop and they initialed it and said what time. That is a fabulous thing to do. I would love to hear that news. It helps parents out that maybe their child has been having trouble pooping.
    So to answer your question none of those things are extreme. I EXPECT THEM!!!
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 9:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Since she has 5 kids already I would say she has probably had some BAD Daycare experience in the past for those requests. Maybe she used a Daycare & they never changed the child's diaper all day & the child got a bad rash. I think she is just erring on the side of caution since she doesn't want any problems & wants to be up front on what she expects. So if I were you then I would agree to care for the baby & be extra careful the baby's diaper is changed as soon as they wet it which should be normal practice for you anyway. I would explain the about the biting child to her before hand & tell her what your policy is on that but I would hope you would keep the biter separated from a baby anyway. As far as sanitizing, rugs should be vacuumed every day after the children leave & the toys that were played with the most should be wiped down with sanitizer & a weekly cleaning of all the others is sufficient.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I can understand toys daily, but every 45 min for diapers, no. Checking them, maybe.

Answer by Bmat at 9:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• A bit overboard, but nothing you mentioned seems extreme. You'd be surprised how long a virus can live on any given surface and just multiply. Things played with the most should be sanitized daily. If you are willing to accommodate her requests then more power to you. If not she'll just have to find someone that will.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I agree with her. Toys should be sanitized daily, it's the best thing to do anyways. If one kid is sick and gets all the other kids sick from a toy then you'll have no kids to watch.

A diaper every 45 minutes is fine- she's paying for the diapers and disposables do leave crystals on the bum if left on too long.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Some clients aren't worth having, and it sounds like this is one of them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2013