Would you have a problem with your child helping out in the cafeteria?

My son is in a self contained high school class. After all the students are finished in the cafeteria, his class goes down and wipes the tables, sweeps the floor, etc. as part of their vocational training. (they also help shelve books in the library, collate the school newsletter, etc.). My ex husband has "forbid" them to have his son do any type of cleaning. The teacher explained that the task was as much about teaching vocational behaviors (completing assigned task, not getting distracted, etc.) as the actual task. I have no problem with my son being involved and he enjoys getting out of the classroom and doing it.
Would you be bothered by it?

Asked by missanc at 1:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2013 in Special Needs

• Nope. I think it's good for them to help out in some way. I did that when I was in school. It was actually kind of a big deal to get to leave class early to help with lunch duty and clean up.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I was a lunchroom helper in 5th grade. I loved it. Got out of class a few minutes early and back a few minutes late each day. It also was reserved for a select few students who had earned it. In my school, it was a privilege. And its teaching him responsibility. Good for your son!
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I don't see a problem with it. I know the kids at the HS here help out with sorting and delivering mail and shelving books. Not sure if any of them work in the cafeteria because the kid I take care of couldn't help with that so only does the mail and occasionally the books.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I think that's excellent! He can gain knowledge of various necessary living skills.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• My oldest son has dev. & lang. delays. He was also in a self-contained classroom all thru school. Tell your husb. they are not "using" the kids as free labor, but teaching them skills they will be using out in the workforce. A lot of these kids will be working in janitorial or restaurant type jobs & this is a skill they need to have. Hopefully they will be getting work opportunities out in the community to find their "niche". And hopefully they are learning other valuable things like budgeting & finance & things like meal planning, grocery shopping & cooking. If not, insist it be included in your child's IEP. Hopefully dad gets on board. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• No I would encourage it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Nope
    Many years ago this was the norm in our schools once children got in the 7th and 8th grade.
    They got to specify which job they would like to do for a quarter. One was serving meals (there were 3 shifts and they served one and ate at one) Do trash detail. Basically emptying the trash bins but it was also helping to teach the little ones that trash went in the bin and dishes went in another spot and trays in another.. They could wash dishes, basically loading the old time dish washers and adult was there to actually rnan the machine and be sure they didn't do something stupid. You could be a table monitor for the younger children.
    You could be playground supervisors. It taught responsibility IMO and an appreciation of what we were given. Our mothers and fathers were require to spend a certain amount of time volunteering whether in the lunch room, office or painting/repairs It was a good community
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I work with the same type of class in a HS... that't totally appropriate for vocational training. We also have a food prep class where they cook & deliver meals the teachers order. They go out and work in restaurant and at a nursing home doing things like cleaning, food prep, etc. Your EX sounds uneducated about vocational training... too bad b/c it's your son who losses out!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• As long as they're not simply using the special ed department as a free maid service then no I wouldn't have a problem with it. If they are truly doing it for vocational purposes (and it sounds like they are if they're doing other stuff besides cleaning the cafeteria) then sure I'd allow it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Absolutely NOT! there is a good lesson in all of this.....your hubby sounds like an old fashion kind, like men don't clean.......

Answer by older at 3:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2013