Wasted $125

I got a couch at a garage sale.. It smells like dog.. Let it sit in the garage to air it out, sprinkled smell good stuff on it .. Vacuumed it many times .. And now my husband doesn't want it!!,...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2013 in Home & Garden

• why would you even buy a couch that smelled like dog?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• try some stuff that removes pet odors

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Gross.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• what butterflyblue said
    and sit it in the sun
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Did you not sit on the couch before buying I? Was the dog odor present when you bought it?

First off the garage is not going to make it smell any better, only worse.
    Did you go and get a carpet cleaner and actually clean the upholstery? They have something to spray on or add to the cleaning fluid to help remove pet odors. Did you wash down all the wooden or other structural pieces?
    Until it is thoroughly cleaned you haven't got a prayer no matter how much smelly stuff you put on. including fabreeze.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't have spent that much on a piece of furniture if I didn't check with my husband first(not because I need permission but because such a large piece needs discussion/agreement).

Also the dog smell would have made the price come WAY down for me. lol

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Yes, get it in the sun and find a way to clean it, not just sprinkle baking soda
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• That sounds like a crazy high price to pay for a garage sale couch. I would think it would be much less. Live and learn and put it on the curb. You don't want to sit on someone else's germs.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I'm so sorry to hear that anon. I do tons of thrift shopping, but I would never ever buy used upholstered furniture. Chalk it up to an oopsy and buy yourself a beautiful new couch.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Aww- that stinks (sorry about the pun) Hopefully you can find a way to get the smell out. If not, it's an expensive lesson learned. Sorry.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2013