He lied...............

MY son is 16 years old lately he has been very different, he got suspended for a day for playing cards in the lunch room last week. he has these group of friends he hangs with i was told by his dean that they rap. but my concern is two weeks ago he told me school will be out on friday the 14 of June but today while i was out running errands i saw some kids coming from his school.. came home asked him about it he said it was because they were seniors they had to go to school for rehearsal i knew that was a lie then i asked him where was his report card he said they will mail out to me then definitely i knew he was lying i usually pick his report card up.so he has been home for a week ladies then i went to the school website i saw that school will be out tomorrow and not last friday what do you guys think his punishment should be? i was thinking of taking the television, his video game away but in my i feel like that is not enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• My punishment would be making him go to counseling with me to find out why he thinks it is appropriate to do some very serious lying

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• can you sign him up for Summer School
    he might have some classes to make up after skipping the last week
    also, i would be finding out why you were not notified he was not in school
    ???
    maybe he was skipping more than the last week

as for punishment- anything electronic is a good start
    betting some ladies here will have some great ideas

i would be going to the school and finding ALL of his actions out
    still confused on how the school did not contact you, and he "got away" with skipping out
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• lately he has been very different

also, he would be having some drugs tests, i you suspected him at all of being different because of possible drugs

punishment... you could take his door off his room= he will love that!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I agree with the above. I personally would remove all electronics and have a mandatory 3-4 page report due before he can have any of it back. I would talk to whatever teacher the report is relevant to check it to see if he has earned the items back or not. Until the teacher reports it is A quality he has nothing.

I do have to ask though... why do you not know when school will be out? Why are you relying on what amounts to a child to tell you when he is in school or not. It is posted online and they send a calendar home at the beginning of every year... It is ultimately your responsibility to know these things.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I'd put him in a weeks worth of tutoring to make up for what he missed lol sucks to have to do work when all your friends are off for summer break !!!
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• I 100% agree with But_Mommie. I have been trying to type out what she said for the past few minutes but couldn't gracefully put it the way she did.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• That is just not a scenario that should be possible. You have to get on top of what his school schedule is and why he can pull the wool over your eyes so easily. Maybe he WANTS you to pay a little attention what is going on in his life.
    As for consequences, I would punish him by grounding him and having him clean out the house from attic to garage side by side with me. Cleaning and bonding and getting to the bottom of why he's lying.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Ever hear of summer school?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Are you SURE that he is lying? I'm not saying he isn't- but I know the school here will have Seniors go and everyone else is out- or they go Jr's and Sr's are out or whatever. It happens. Also, our school does mail the report cards so you might double check that as well.

IF he did lie- then I'd say grounding for a couple weeks from video games, and friends and possibly cell phone as well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2013

• Take him for a visit to the local jail and explain to him that this is where dishonest people often end up. Then take him to the homeless shelter and explain that without an education, this is where he is more likely to live. Then sign him up there to do some community service.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2013