Neglectful parenting?

While it may not be criminal neglect(punishable by removal of children and jail) do you think that this is neglectful parenting?

Taking a child out of public school and then only teaching them the "basics" of education. Meaning that you don't think you need to teach them anything beyond, reading, basic writing, basic math, and some basic history and science. That if they want to learn anything beyond that or go to college to study a particular area they will have to just "buck up" and learn it themselves.

I find it insane. While I am not against homeschooling and have thought of doing it myself I do not think this constitutes as homeschooling, I think its just a mother being lazy as well as not wanting to deal with the difficulties their child had in public school(was having trouble in class and passing).

Isn't it our duty as parents to teach our children everything we can and to then to instill the will/want to learn everything they can? I don't see just giving him the basics and then expecting child to teach him/herself fulfilling the obligation we have as a parent, especially not one that is going to homeschool.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• Most home schooling parents I've known have really busted their butts, but there are some who do a half ass job at it and their kids lose out. It's lazy if not neglectful, but home schooling is no different than parenting in general; there are lazy parents and good ones everywhere. Some parents give themselves fully to the job of raising their kids, some don't. And the kids with dedicated, hard-working, involved parents usually have no idea how lucky they are.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Yes I agree, I just don't get how someone cannot see the disservice that they are doing to their child with this. To have the opinion that they are truly doing what is best and great for their child?

I guess I just don't get some people.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I think if you are going to homeschool, you need to be able to offer the same opportunities that conventional schools offer. Otherwise, your child will be behind & will be fighting an uphill battle to compete in the job market later.  Those parents are doing their child a huge disservice.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I have watched something on tv about parents like that. Who let there kids decide after basic school if they want to learn more.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• One of the main reasons I pulled my kids and started homeschooling was because I felt their education wasn't what it could, and should, be. They were focused on math and reading, to the extent that other subjects like geography got ignored (as in, my oldest thought Paris was in Canada, and Canada was in Alaska), and if the teacher didn't feel the kids understood stuff, they got held in from art, music, or PE to work on it - and being kept in from PE is really bad when your kid has ADHD and needs that outlet to be able to focus.

So I pulled them. We do the basics, like reading, math, spelling, history, etc. But we also do science experiments that have nothing to do with what we're learning at the moment, look up anything and everything they ever ask a question about and I try to take them on as many field trips as I can afford. It's not always as many as I'd like, but I'm not rich, so I work with what I've got.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I think, if you're homeschooling, you have to be dedicated and you have to do more than just the basics. I don't know if I'd call it neglectful to not go beyond the basics, since the public school my kids were in did the same thing and people would say that they were "doing the best they could" or "doing their job", but I don't think it's right. Homeschooling should be about providing them with the best education possible, and if all you're going to do is teach the bare basics, public school can do that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I agree that homeschooling is a huge commitment. Parents should be obligated to meet *at least* what a public school could offer their child. But typically parents choose it because they feel they can do *better.*

It is something *I* seriously considered with my child, and would only do if I were certain that I could meet his needs in an effective way. DH has veto power, though, so I had to promise to let the school have a chance before I take that path with him. But if it's something I end up doing it would be because I'm not satisfied with what he's getting at school, and definitely not something I would do if I couldn't at least live up to that standard. I don't see why parents would do that to their children - if they don't want to teach they can just send their child to school, you know?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Homeschooling should be about providing them with the best education possible, and if all you're going to do is teach the bare basics, public school can do that.

^^^I 100% agree with this. I am going to homeschool DS because he isn't getting a good education at the public school he is at (not to mention his attention issues). They don't cover things I think are important and put too much emphasis on things that have no bearing on real life. If you are going to pull your kid out of public school you should be willing to do the work to school your kid at home. Lazy parents like that give homeschoolers a bad name and do their kids a huge disservice.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2013