I have to give the school my answer today if I want to retain my son!!

I spoke with the principal yesterday and she needs an answer today if I am going to retain my son or send him on to first grade. She has been great and will be supportive with what ever I decide. I know one more year will probably be the best for him. He had delayed speech etc...and has been working with the speech pathologist and has made great progress. One more year will let him mature a bit more also and give him more self confidence.

I spoke with my husband last night and we figured it would be best for him if we retained him. We feel if we send him on he will just feel more overwhelmed and frustrated and will really end up disliking school...which is were we are headed now! Also he will know the ropes so to speak so he will feel more confident.

Even though I know this will be best for him I am sick to my stomach this morning!! Am I doing the right thing? Should I let him move on? Also how and when do I tell my son that he will be attending Kindergarten again?

I have to add that at first I was worried about his age but I have noticed that a good amout of parents are not sending their kids to K the year they are able to go, they are waiting a year to send them. My son has had kids in his class that have turned 7 this year or will be turning 7 soon. K has such a vast age group that of course some kids are going to be a head of other kids...

Basically I feel awful but am I doing the right thing?

emeraldeyes98

Asked by emeraldeyes98 at 6:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You might think it is the best thing for him. But he wont. All his friends will be going to first grade and he will be held back. They might tease him. Call him names.. These kid of things are a double edge sword.

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Sometimes doing what's best for our kids will make us feel bad because we know it's not what they want. But you still have to do what's best for your kids.

If you think holding him back is really what's best for him, then you have to do that. As far as when to tell him, I think sooner is probably better than later, so he has time to react and get used to the idea before he goes back to school. It'd be better if he gets angry and pitches a fit at home rather than at school - if he does that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• You are absolutely doing the right thing.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• You are doing the right thing. While he might get through first grade okay I think the bigger concern is a few years down the road when it will be harder to keep up. Being held back at that age would feel like a much bigger deal than if it happens now. You are doing the right thing.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Being held back in kindergarten is much easier than when kids are older. I wouldn't listen to anyone saying his friends will laugh at him... if they were older I could see it, but in kindy they make new friends so easily the social pressure is much lower.

If you think it is best for him after weighing all of the facts, then you are right. Big hugs Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• The reason I said what I said is because I have already been through this.

Answer by louise2 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• School is a child's work. Assuming the pay was equal would you choose the job that you always felt stressed, behind your co-workers and you had to take more work home just to keep up, even though you are more familiar with your co-workers or would you choose a job where you were familiar with the protocol, you could make strides and see your own improvement and stay on top of your peers?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• From the facts you presented, it sounds to me like retaining your son will be the right thing. I think with decisions like these, you make your choice, and whatever you decided is right. Don't second guess yourself. It will only lead to more stress. Make your choice and stick by it as the right one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2013