I spoke with the principal yesterday and she needs an answer today if I am going to retain my son or send him on to first grade. She has been great and will be supportive with what ever I decide. I know one more year will probably be the best for him. He had delayed speech etc...and has been working with the speech pathologist and has made great progress. One more year will let him mature a bit more also and give him more self confidence.
I spoke with my husband last night and we figured it would be best for him if we retained him. We feel if we send him on he will just feel more overwhelmed and frustrated and will really end up disliking school...which is were we are headed now! Also he will know the ropes so to speak so he will feel more confident.
Even though I know this will be best for him I am sick to my stomach this morning!! Am I doing the right thing? Should I let him move on? Also how and when do I tell my son that he will be attending Kindergarten again?
I have to add that at first I was worried about his age but I have noticed that a good amout of parents are not sending their kids to K the year they are able to go, they are waiting a year to send them. My son has had kids in his class that have turned 7 this year or will be turning 7 soon. K has such a vast age group that of course some kids are going to be a head of other kids...
Basically I feel awful but am I doing the right thing?
Answer by louise2 at 6:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by wendythewriter at 7:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by louise2 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2013
Answer by Ballad at 2:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2013