What browser do you use?

i had to stop using Google Chrome because i was having a lot of issues on it, especially with Cafemom. everytime i'd click anything i'd get an annoying pop-up. so now i'm on Firefox and have had no issues so far. those of you that use Firefox- any complaints about it?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Technology

• Chrome
    no popups. Do you use ad blocker?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• i think i got a virus on chrome. i did everything i could think of- clearing browsing history, cleaning up the harddrive, rebooting computer... nothing worked.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Right now I'm on my tablet but at work Chrome is my default, but it does get touchy so I often use Firefox for programs that Chrome doesn't do well with. I use Google Calendar at work and Chrome works very well with all Google apps so that's the only reason I keep it as default, so it automatically opens my calendar when I log on. I have no issues with Firefox though, it always works.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Chrome with ad block.

If you think your computer is infected, use the following (they can't all work at the same time, do them one at a time): AVG Free antivirus (if you use mcaffee or nortons, uninstall them after you install AVG and use this instead) adaware spybot hitman pro

Each specializes in a different thing, so it looks for different types of weak points. Once you've let them all do their thing, make sure none of your programs are set to do automatic updates (especially Java if you still have it installed or anything Adobe). When software needs to update, read EVERYTHING and make sure it's not checking boxes automatically to install things you don't want.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Formatting got wonky there, that's 4 different links to 4 different programs. All are free, all are safe, don't click anything that expects you to pay for them, that's the commercial version(s).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Chrome, no pop ups, but we did have a virus I had to get rid of a few weeks ago - it pretended to be a search page that replaced our Google home page. Thankfully we never used it (I search by typing in the URL bar bc I'm lazy, haha), and once I figured it out it was quite easy to get rid of. I found it in the extensions and in the running pages or whatever it's called. Once I cleared it out of there we had no more problems.

I do prefer Firefox, though. DH just uses Chrome more often so it's the default on everything.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• but we did have a virus I had to get rid of a few weeks ago - it pretended to be a search page

That's one of the ones that gets installed through automatic updaters. I forget which one it was, but a bunch of people at school got hit with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• OH - and the specific virus we found, it wasn't caught any of the scans or anything. I had to go looking for it in the extensions and all - but we run ad blocker and AVG on everything. That's how we found out something was wrong in the first place; we had ad blocker and started getting pop ups. Then I caught the fake search page, and went from there. DH installed AVG into the browser after that, and no problems since. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• "That's one of the ones that gets installed through automatic updaters. I forget which one it was, but a bunch of people at school got hit with it."

Ahhh, lol. It was on DH's computer, so I had no idea where it could have come from - if he had downloaded something and it was snuck in with it, etc, etc.

Makes sense that it would be with the auto stuff, though :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Regular Google on IE- & I clean out all cookies & add-ons upon exiting internet.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2013