Bath or Shower Alone?

At what age was you child allowed to bath or shower alone? For those that have trouble getting yours to bath or shower alone what do you do to help them?

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 10:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• Mine are 12 and 9 and have been showering alone for several years now. Probably since they were about 8 & 6ish. But when they first started, I made them leave the bathroom door open, so I could hear more clearly in case they slipped or something. Now that they're older, they can close the door and although I do still listen for any sudden, loud thuds, I don't really pay as much attention.

I never had any trouble getting them to go alone. What kind of trouble do you mean exactly? Are you talking about getting them to wash, or the physical act of going in to shower - like they're afraid to go alone?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My daughter will be seven next week and I have been trying to get her to take baths alone for a couple months. She says she can't start water on her own. So the first couple weeks I showed her how to do it. Well depending on her mood she would do it all by herself. Well then the next thing was getting her to wash her hair. She would do it but not all her hair. So again I showed her how to do it and even gave her a mirror so she can see that she got all her hair. Well that didn't work out so well either. (Shes very stubborn). Well she stayed with my sister one night and took a shower. So since then that's what she wants to do. Which is fine.... But once again there is a little problem with that too. She can't get all the soap out of her hair. I gave her mirror and a cup to help get it out. I even told her to call for me when she is ready. But she wont most of the time. She's not scared at all though.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My oldest DD started bathing semi-alone (bathroom door open) around 5 1/2.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My oldest didn't shower alone until 10 and I still had to monitor him to make sure he washed his hair all the way. I think it is because I didn't let him do it along the way, I just always helped him. I was smarter with my younger two. My middle one just started showering alone ( almost 7) and he is doing great. The first two or three times he needed help with adjusting the water, making sure he got shampoo everywhere and so on, but is doing really well.

Just take small steps to get her to do it alone. Let her go in and start the shower and after 10 or so minutes, go in and remind her to wash her hair, when you remind her make sure to instruct her to scrub the places she usually misses. Then go back in 5 minutes later and check to make sure she did it right. Don't leave it up to her to call you when she has done such and such. Her howering alone doesn't mean you don't have to go in a nag to make sure she is doing it right.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I don't really remember, but my youngest son had an easier time mastering washing his hair. He was probably 5 years old. My oldest son was probably 6.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I would say maybe around 6-7 to bathe alone. But, I would say check on them a couple of times just to make sure there ok. that's a good guestion.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I just read an article on babycenter.com that a 5 and a 1/2 year old milestone is being able to take a tub alone. Yes, I totally baby my child but kids can drown in very little water and slipping in the tub for a stumbling monkey like him is not that unlikely. I make him star the water, adjust the temp, wash himself (and step in on missed spots) and drain the tub and put away the toys alone, so theoretically he can do it but I do stay with him the entire time--even if the water is running and he is still brushing teeth. This is often one of the few unplugged alone times we have together so we often chat. By the end of next year I might be more apt to leave him within ear shot of me.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Around age 6-7
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Mine all shower alone now, but 6 & 8 yo need help making sure they rinsed all the shampoo.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2013