Oh,I'm sure your time is more important than mine...

Do you have any friends/family that are serially late? Do they wander in way past the time they were suppose to arrive,acting all flabbergasted?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Relationships

• If I am late I usually come in with my tail between my legs.
    It's rude to be late like that all of the time (with exception of traffic or injury). What it says is 'my time is more important than yours and I don't respect your time enough to be punctual'. JMO.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• We have one everyone knows will always be late, and knows better than to complain if everyone starts eating or opening presents or whatever the occasion is before she gets there. It probably helps when it's a younger generation of the family than older - it's a lot easier to try and browbeat your kids, nieces and nephews than your parents, aunts and uncles.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• We have one, and for years we just tell her everything is starting an hour before we want her there. It works like a charm and she doesn't miss out.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My sister is that way, but she is a selfish jerk in many other ways too... soooo...I no longer count on her for anything. It has really damaged our relationship, but she seem fine with that. Oh well, I guess.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My younger sister. She would keep us waiting for a couple of hours. They came to visit last year and we were all going to meet up at 10 to do some touristy stuff. She didnt come until noon and then bitched about the heat. I told her outdoor things need to be done early because it gets hot pretty fast. It's rude. If you say a time then be there.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• ME!!
    Bear in mind that if it's important- a wedding, funeral, Christmas dinner, etc- I am ALWAYS on time. But if it's lunch on a Tuesday or something, I can pretty much guarantee 15 minutes late.
    Mostly everyone knows and gives me extra time.

Doing parties, I run into those "serially late" people. The Hostess wants me to wait, they're on their way, etc. I give 20 minutes, and I start without them, or if NO ONE has showed, I pack up and leave. Those who really want to see what I have to offer are on time, in a front row seat, with their credit card in hand!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• If I know I'm going to be late, I'll give them a call to let them know. What's more annoying is when other people make plans and cancel them last minute. There's no point in arriving on time if they end up being wishy washy and canceling on you when you get there. I had a friend who would do this and also arrive late all the time because she just HAD to spend an hour making herself look pretty even if it was for something casual outdoors. I think I used to be a man in another life because it literally takes me like 5 mins to get ready.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Yes, it was mostly me because of my ex husband of why I was late, since taking out of that equation. I would say that most of the time I'm on time, and if I'm not going to be I let the person know. THings happen but to act like your not late or disregard for the other person time is rude.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• One
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Not really. I have some friends who, like me, sometimes end up running a bit late. But they usually text or call to let me know. I ALWAYS text or call if I realize I'm going to be late, and if I can't (say, I get stuck in traffic and by the time I realize I'll be late, it's moving again), the first words out of my mouth when I walk in are "I'm so sorry I kept you waiting. _________ happened and that's why I'm late. But I'm really sorry."

I don't mind someone being late occasionally, as long as they let me know or at least apologize when they get there. But if I knew someone that was habitually late and didn't even apologize or something, I'd be blunt and tell them that my time is important and I really don't appreciate wasting it to wait for them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2013