Relatives sent 3yr old DD a birthday check. She ripped and chewed it...

...making it unable to be cashed/deposited. When we tell the relatives what happened, should we ask for another check or just accept the loss?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If it's not too late snap a "cute" picture of her with the damage and text/email it to them. that's what I'd do
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I'd label it something silly like "if you want to replace this I promise to buy her a chew toy with it" or something else silly. if the amount was TEENY and/or the relatives are jerks I'd accept the loss though
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Cute idea!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• tell them-I bet they offer to send another. I mean it isn't like you are going to cash both- I agree with taking a pic!
    you can also ust that later when she's a teen ;) hehe

*how did she get ahold of it though?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Accept the loss. Let them know so that they do not think you did not appreciate the gift but do not ask for a replacement. They may decide to do just that or they may decide to let it go.

It is the same but slightly different if he had been sent a toy and he broke the pieces so the whole toy was unusable. You would not expect them to replace it but you would thank them. At least I hope you would.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I would just tell them. She distroyed the check. Just telling you so you know why I dodn't cash it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• It's my fault she got a hold of the check. I put it on a short table with the rest of her birthday cards. I forgot the check was still inside. I'll just send a pic with an explanation. I won't ask for a replacement. It was $25.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't outright ask for a replacement but just approach it as giving them notice that unfortunately their check was destroyed by the cookie monster that is your child. Then, tell them that you didn't want them to think you were being disrespectful when they would eventually notice that it wasn't cashed. That gives them the opportunity to speak up and volunteer a replacement.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2013