Ballad do you have the recipe for your grandma's anise cookies?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Food & Drink

• The thinner cookies are crispier, the thicker ones are softer. That recipe makes about three dozen I think, depending on the size of your cookie cutters. We used to use a great big plastic bowl and make several triple batches every year. Since my grandma has been gone, others in the family have tried to make biscochitos and they've turned out okay, but nothing replaces the memories of going to her house and smelling the anise and cinnamon when she was baking. That smell says Christmas to me. Some family members make the cookis without the anise because they don't like the strong flavor, but to me that's bordering on sacrelige. The last year my grandma baked, she accidentally put salt in the cookies instead of sugar. Man, that was enough to make your eyes water! *Smile.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• We used to make these biscochitos at Christmas when my grandma was alive. She said that where she came from in New Mexico, instead of using cookie cutters, the women would roll the dough out and see who could cut the fanciest leaf patterns with the sharp point of a knife.

6 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    2 cups shortening (my grandma used lard)
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons anise seed
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup brandy (this can be left out)
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

reheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Cream shortening with sugar and anise seeds until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in flour and brandy until well blended.

Turn dough out on a floured board and pat or roll to 1/4 or 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into shapes. Dust with a mixture of 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Bake 10 to 12 minutes
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Thank you I am going to put these with my cookies to make for Christmas. I have had some good ones but never had a really good recipe.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2013