Childhood Memories of Summer

I was researching summer camps, programs and kids activities for my son. It got me thinking of my own childhood memories of summer and they did not involve archery or lego camp--most of them did not even really involve leaving home like building forts with lawn chairs.

What are your favorite summer childhood memories? Do you do those things with your kids?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• swimming at Grandma's house
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• the two weeks of vacation bible camp was always fun for us.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I have almost no memories at all before I was 12 or 13.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Playing in the hay mound, going swimming in the creek, baling hay, playing under the old maple tree with my matchbox cars, weeding the garden, mowing grass, biking to my friends houses 1 - 2 miles away, climbing the old apple tree, showing animals at the county fair, camping, sun tanning on the old chicken coop (minus swimsuit! couldn't have tan lines) hiking in the woods, and oh so much more. It's kind of sad because I know that my kids won't ever get to experience half of that because you can't trust people any more.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My family wasn't exactly skilled at making good memories, but my parents bought me a tandem bicycle so I could go riding with the other kids, as long as my brotheror sister rode on the front seat of the bike to steer. We'd go for ice cream in the evenings, or go all over. It was a small town then, and my mom just said to come home when the church bells rang. Everybody knew everybody anyway, so if a kid fell and got hurt or something, there were always neighbors to help. Another time, my grandma, her four children which included my mom, and their spouses and kids--all six of us cousins--loaded up and drove to the other side of the mountains to her brother's house to pick carloads of cherries, apricots, and peaches. We brought them back for my grandma to can. Eating those fruits right off the trees, hanging out with the cousins, and the peach ice cream--nothing short of heavenly.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Playing outside, riding bikes, coming home before dinner (when my belly growled), the Ice Cream Truck, being barefoot all day, my best friend was my next door neighbor & we were the same age, making taffy with marshmallows on the front stoop, driving in the station wagon down to South Carolina in the back with the dog. St Rocco's Feast that my dad ran every year for 28 years. So much more but I can't remember now.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I spent alot of my summers alone while my parents were at work. I did go to my friends houses alot but my son is too young to go do that so swimming, coloring and playing at the park is what I do with him.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Going to the ocean and lakes! Building forts in the woods, playing Barbies, and riding bikes with my friends!
    Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2013