How would you find out?

My daughter has one of the neighbor girls at my house to play today. The little girl's birthday was this week, and she's having a party tomorrow. The two of them have been talking about it all morning, but we haven't received an official invitation in the mail or by phone call, so I can't really tell if my daughter is invited or not. The thing is, I could just go ask her mom, but I don't want to put the poor woman on the spot if the party is just for family or if my daughter isn't on the guest list. I haven't bought a gift or anything because I didn't know anything till this morning. What would you do?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would say to the little girl. 'You know what? Your mommy hasn't told me anything about your party so I don't think that (insert DDs names here) will be there. Maybe you guys can get together and do something fun next week!' That puts it off of you. If the girls wants to beg her mom to invite your DD she can.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I would tell the mother that the girls were discussing it, you don't want to put her on the spot, but were wondering if she is invited. I normally would do what the pp stated, but my "politeness" has recently meant my child missed a good opportunity, so I would try to get more information next time.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't say a word. If the mom had meant to invite your daughter I feel sure that she would have checked that you'd received an invitation. To me, confronting her (however gently) would be discourteous.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I would do nothing. I would tell my DD that until the mom invites you, you can not go.

Answer by louise2 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• You could just say that her little girl mentioned the party today, and you were wondering what time it would be and where. That way, the mom knows that the little girl shared the info so that it doesn't seem like you're trying to invite yourself. I don't see why she wouldn't invite your child since they play together already.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2013