The Food Network just announced they are letting Paula Deen go...

They are not renewing her contract that expires at the end of the month.

Is this extreme? Have they taken this lawsuit and admitted use of racial slurs during the 80s too far by ending her shows?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Entertainment

• It seems extreme for something she did well before she even had a contract with them. She has admitted she did, she has also admitted she was wrong to have done so and has not done it since. Granted she is telling the truth... it seems silly to punish someone for something they have already admitted was wrong and corrected.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Some people are as offended by her apology as what she said - trying to brush it off as from a different time (as if that makes it ok). There's also how she dealt with the diabetes thing that turned people off. I wouldn't be so sure that the racism thing is a sole reason so much as the last straw.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Incidentally, I wonder if this is why she was "too exhausted" to do her scheduled interview on Today.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• What she said didn't sound racist to me. I think what she said and what she meant is two different things. What I would like to know is. What took these people so long to say something about this? How long has it been? 20 or so years. Come on!!!

Answer by louise2 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Wow....that's all I've got.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• To be fair... it was a different time... No it doesn't make it right but it does explain why it was so casual. It was to Most people in the south... still is in some areas. The important thing is she says she learned form her mistakes and no longer feels it is something that is okay to do.
    Anonymous

• That wasn't first thought too when I read it, NP. She probably found out this morning prior to the interview.

I personally think this is too harsh, but I do agree it was probably the last straw with the network.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I know I'm out of the loop. but I don't think lying about her diabetes helped anything, either.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• People say stupid shit all the time. More over people say racist stupid shit all the time. If we fired every person who ever said or thought something stupid at any point in their life no one would be working anywhere ever.
    Anonymous

• Overreaction, IMHO.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2013