Is it really illegal to kill your neighbors in their sleep, no matter what? (Vent.)

Grrrr! My neighbor,we call him Grizzly Adams because of how much he hunts and grills all year, has a meat smoker. A few years ago, I asked him to let me know when he was about to fire the damn thing up so I could have a chance to shut all my doors and windows. Just ring my doorbell and give me a heads-up, that's all I asked. The thing billows out clouds of awful-smelling smoke that fill the whole upstairs of my house in just a few seconds because of where my bedroom window is. The smoke is so strong that it burns the eyes and nose, and it almost always gives me nausea and then a migraine. The neighbor said I should just keep my windows closed all summer if I was that sensitive, and he never did let me know when he was going to use the smoker, so I finally complained to the homeowners' association about it. Relations have been tense between us ever since, but I couldn't be getting sick all the damn time. He got rid of the smoker, but this summer, it's back. This is the second time he's fired it up without telling me, and literally by the time I run upstairs to shut the windows and turn on the bathroomand laundry room fans, it's too late. My house is filled, my eyes are burning, and I'm queasy and hoping and praying I don't get a headache. My daughter and I are coughing; we both have asthma.

So am I asking too much of my inconsiderate jackass neighbor, just to tell me when he's going to singlehandedly pollute the air over this half of the condo complex? Why are people so thoughtless? If I knew some habit of mine was making a neighbor throw up, and sometimes even be in bed for a few days, I' quit doing it or give her a heads-up so she could take precautions.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I agree with everyone else.

I posted a picture of grumpy cat that says "Good fences make good neighbors, Bad neighbors make good fertilizer".

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Call your city's code enforcement office and ask if it's a violation of city code - ie, is leaf burning allowed where you live? If that's banned, their smoker is probably violating the clean air law if it's so bad it's filling other houses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I have this issue with my upstairs neighbors and their outdoor fireplace thingy. i guess it doesn't occur to them that the whole fricking neighborhood does not want burning wood smell wafting through their homes. Why should WE have to close ourselves up in our homes so they can make that godawful stench??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Yes, sadly it is. though I don't believe it's illegal to call the police and report the smell of something burning.....I mean you're blind it's not like you know for sure it's your neighbor's gross grill.......
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Haha my neighbors yell they hate me when I smoke meats, because they're all hungry. They're just busting my chops, I send tons of meat to all of em. I wish I hada neighbor who smoked so I didn't have to be the one doing it lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• A few weeks back,they had the fire so hot that it MELTED the grate that surrounds it! GEEZ!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I'd complain to management again. In fact, I might even consider a call to the police and see if there's anything they can do about the situation. I mean, it's not illegal to have a smoker, but I know there are usually laws about...I can't remember what they call it, but basically peaceful enjoyment of your home. I think it usually applies to noise, but maybe it could apply here? Or harassment, maybe, since you asked him nicely to let you know and he deliberately keeps doing it without any warning.

Alternatively, is there anything you can do that would annoy the crap out of him? Do it! Every time he fires up that smoker, do whatever it is that bugs him, and maybe he'll finally stop. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• But I guess the police wouldn't have to know I know ...

Exactly just call the Non-emergency line and state your concern.....
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• What I've learned is that if you act like a repeating record, eventually they'll give in and get the message. So, he'll know that every time he doesn't notify you, you'll be knocking at his door. It turns into an annoyance to him. He might even be lonely, who knows? Maybe he continues this behavior because it's the only way he gets some kind of social interaction. I think you should try to break down his barriers. Kill him with kindness. Tell him next time that it smells so good but that unfortunately you have allergies so you can't take all the smoke. Then, ask him what his recipe is for the marinade. Maybe even invite him over. Once he sees you as a friend, he'll be more accommodating. I've gotten some really sour people to break down their barriers this way. My boss once made me speak to this lady that even he was scared of, but I broke her down with this strategy & she starting doing favors for me instead!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2013