I drink to numb emotional pain once in awhile? Do you?

I do it when the kids aren't around and I'm feeling unbearable mental pain!

I abused as a child and have no relationship with my bio family. It's not healthy for me or my children to be around them. But the emptiness hurts!

I've been in therapy and on meds.

My daughter's graduating 8th grade grade and I have no bio family to be there. Times like these trigger the bad feelings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Health

• You have alcoholic tendencies and need to seek help...go back to therapy. it's not a quick fix it is a LONG process.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I'm sorry to hear that. I don't do binge drinking. I had my fill in my twenties. I would think that would leave you feeling even more depressed and empty. Maybe a different therapist would help. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right one. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• No but then again I don't really have emotional pain, just stress. I might crack a beer once in a while for that but I don't use it as a cure. I don't think your habit is healthy...
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• I only do it a few times a year, when the ugly feelings are at their worst. I think a lot of people do this.

I LIKE BEER! The buzz makes me feel mellow and fine!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Binge drinking, no. I also try not to drink alone, since it only gives me the blues. I drink to relax and unwind sometimes, but just a glass of rum and Coke or a beer.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Not for emotional pain, I will have a couple of drinks sometimes when my physical pain is bad(and I'm not taking any meds). But rarely do I do that.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• My dh used to do that. Started out just every once in awhile, but eventually became a regular thing that nearly shattered our lives. Nothing good ever comes from medicating with alcohol.

Oh, and my mom also started out the same way and is now a full on raging alcoholic. It's very sad.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Never. I also have no relationship with my family. I have shitty parents that aren't allowed in my life, and my father is a dickbag loser alcoholic. I don't want to be anything like that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• What do you do to make the emotional pain go away?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• No, I drink because I enjoy the taste of the things I choose to drink. I don't drink just to get buzzed or drunk. I know how bad I can feel the next day and I know that making myself feel like physical shit just to not have to feel like emotional shit isn't accomplishing anything. I'm sorry you feel this way. It sounds like you could benefit from some long term therapy. Binge drinking is horrible for you. Just think of what your daughter would be left with if you weren't around to raise her. You and your DD would miss out on so many wonderful bonding experiences. Kids growing up and getting more independent is really bittersweet. It's sad to think of the times you miss but it's exciting and fascinating to see the kind of person they are growing up to be.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2013