It's expensive!

My boyfriend took the two kids to see Monsters University. He came home saying that seeing movies in the theater has just about priced itself out of the market for us. Two adult tickets for $13.50 each and a child's ticket for $11.50, and $4.75 for each of three sodas. That's crazy. No wonder people just go with Netflix.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2013 in Just for Fun

• You can usually get discount movie tickets through companies such as Geico insurance, AAA, credit card companies, credit unions, or Verizon if you have an account with them. I believe GeicoPrivileges.com doesn't require you to have an account in order to sign up. Some employers also have discounts. The tickets are about $6.50 to $7.50/each depending on which movie chain you prefer (AMC or Regal). Some theaters also have student discounts or deeply discounted movies in the summer for kids if you check out their website. Even parents can get student discounts since some places don't even require you to show any kind of ID and many adults go back to school or are military members. But you have to ask for it since it's not an automatic discount.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Matinees are a little more affordable. We don't do night time movies at the theater.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• We go on Tuesdays between 4 and 5:30 when tickets are $5.50 each and popcorn and drinks are $1.50 each. Or we go to the drive in where we can see two movies for $7 each.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Movies are extremely expensive!

Unfortunately for families, there really isn't' anything affordable to do anymore.
    I remember taking our boys bowling and THAT was expensive!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Thank God my dad is a theatre manager... ;0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2013

• We go during the day, and it's $7 for kids and $8 for adults.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• The only movies we do in theaters is the Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express. Movies for $1/person. We sometimes hit the local drive-in, where it's $3 for 1 movie or $6 for the double feature.

Other than that, if I just bought movie tickets (no snacks or drinks), I'd be spending what I could spend on the DVD. And if I buy the DVD, I can pause it to use the bathroom, watch it more than once, and I can buy enough snacks for multiple watchings cheaper than I can buy the snacks at the theater. So I usually just buy the DVD if there's a movie I really want to see - or I wait for it to come to TV. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• If you HAVE to see it on the big screen, go during discounted hours. And sneak in some snacks & maybe even some bottled water. The theater we have near us offers free refills on large popcorn, so we all split that. Hope they enjoyed the movie. It looks cute.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• was it the 3d one? those are higher priced

why not wait unti it goes to the dollar theater?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• *until

Also- sneak candy in yourself and buy a soda that 2 can share...
    charlotsomtimes