Savings bonds?

My son got a $100 savings bond as a birthday gift when he was born. I don't know ANYTHING about savings bonds at all since all that were given to me as a child were cashed out by my parents before reaching maturity. It sparked my interest. I wasn't given the opportunity to attend college and I am currently watching my kid brother struggle through his first year. I want better for my son and am wondering if savings bonds would be a good way to save up. Does anyone know the nitty gritty details on savings bonds, how they work, and how long they can gain interest?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I got one.. like last week. for me did like a cd that way it renews every year.. and well if i need the money i can take it out once a year before it renews.. i did 500 and 15$ a month added to it.. and then for my kids i did a gift account i guess they call it where it cant be cashed out with out me till they are 18.. earns interest over the years and i put 25 in it a month for each kid.. can build over the years and i really dont feel the difference.. i looked over alot of options and this was the safest for me
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 2:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• The bond your son got costed $50. When it reachs full maturity then you can take to a bank and cash it in for the $100. I believe it is slightly more if you don't cash it in right away. When you buy a bond you just pay 1/2 of what its face value is but it takes I think 7 years to mature. Also you don't get the full amount if you cash it out early.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 6:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2009