Low-salt cooking?

(trying this again, it got buried in someone's spamfest yesterday)

We're cutting back on salt for health reasons, a lot of salads, wraps and stir fry. Looking for other ideas, because you can only do so much chicken or meatless in a week. Can't do anything with unaltered eggs or tomato (eggs in things as a binder is ok, tomatoes in sauce, but if you still recognize them, not everyone will eat them, so it's a waste)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I would try cutting out salt in things you already eat. Look for things that you can use substitutions - for example, you buy a can of diced tomatoes (I know you said no tomatoes, but it's the first example that comes to mind; sorry), look for a can that says "no salt" or "no added salt" or something like that.

For flavor, you can replace the salt with other things. I love Old Bay seasonings and Adobo seasoning - not sure about the salt in them, though. I know the Mrs. Dash line is supposed to be good for salt-free or low-salt diets and I've used them before and really enjoyed the flavors. McCormick has a line of Grillmates seasonings that I *think* are low or no salt, great for various meats.

Not sure how helpful that was, but it's what comes to mind immediately for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• have you tried any of the more intensely flavored salts?
    like sea salt or the Himalayan?
    you still get the salt flavor but use maybe a pinch instead of half the shaker like with mortons

how are you maintaining your iodine levels?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• as far as minimizing salt itself, i hardly ever use salt in cooking. i figure if im using garlic powder or adobo or whatever, there is already salt in it. its just me & my kids so they dont notice a difference if something doesnt have salt in it, and if my parents are over or whomever else i figure they can grab the salt shaker and add it on after its cooked to their preference.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• I want a recipe for stir fry without high sodium! That's what I'm eating now.

Just check the salt levels on all your ingredients and don't add extra, but you know that.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

What are you using on it? Avoid the bottled sauces and stick with straight seasoning like garlic and onion and ginger. If you want some kind of liquid with it, use homemade stock or a low sodium broth to cook the rice instead of water.

Where we get stuck is there aren't really many ways to prepare pork or beef that don't involve something salty at some point, whether it's a marinade or sauce after. Chicken is blander. So it's stir fry, where you drown it in other veggies and spices.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• When I was trying the low-salt approach with my ex husband, I used a lot of Mrs. Dash. The seasonings are quite good.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• OP I have several recipes that are low salt because I have to follow a diet because of having a heart attack a few months back and having stints put in so if you want some PM and I'll send some to you. I use Mrs Dash seasonings all the time in place of salt
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Christmaslver68
    did the cardiologist/ dietician tell you that?
    because SO had his in Feb and my dad had his 5? years ago and while they had low sodium diets in hospital they weren't told to continue the diets at home.
    both of them had stents and are now on statins (and a few other drugs)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• I am on a low salt diet for a couple reason I am diabetic, have high cholesterol; high blood pressure and now with having the stints put in I have always followed some sort of diet but the cardiologist just said to cut back on the salt
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2013