He said what?

What have you done or what would you do if your teen or tween refused to do any chores unless you paid him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• why did you ask this twice?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Hah! Start "billing" them for all the things you do for them- like cook, clean, laundry, taxi-service, etc. If that doesn't work, then stop doing extra favors, like no special treats/snacks, movie or game rentals, etc. Make it clear that everyone in the family needs to pitch in to help the home run more smoothly.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2013

• I would tell him he is part of the family, and he does chores to contribute. I would tell him, and show him if necessary, that I'm required to feed him, but it can be just bread and peanut butter. No sodas, no candies, no favorite meals. I'm required to house him, but that just means clean clothes and a place to sleep. It doesn't mean a TV, designer tennis shoes, etc. He can have a pleasant life in the family if he cooperates, and a not-so-pleasant one if he doesn't. That's why I'm not big on paying kids for chores anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2013