Do i have to tell the father we are in town??

He was given 90 day before I moved out of state with the kids. He did not try to take me to court to stop the kids from going. He has not talked to them in months. I want to go back and see my family but am worried if he knows we are there he will want to take them over night and it will be a big fight to get them back. Do I tell him we are there? Do I have to let him take them??

luckbug

Asked by luckbug at 1:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• If you feel it will cause more problems do not tell him. Enjoy the time visiting your family.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• I'm sorry, your story lacks a ton of details. Why would he take them if he didn't have anything to do with them in the first place? On the other hand, if he has visitation rights and you are evading that court order, you will be in trouble.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• What does your custody order say?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• He had visitation rights before I moved out of state. But we never went back to court to have visitation with us out of state. He did not fight me moving. There were so meany problems before. I have sole custody solo control of my babys.
    luckbug

Comment by luckbug (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• The papers don't say anything about out of state visitation or him get them for how ever long. Before we moved I went through my lawyer he's the one that told me what to do before I moved.
    luckbug

Comment by luckbug (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Might be a good idea to contact your lawyer now, to get advice on a return. If you have sole custody and he was given no visitation rights at all, then likely you don't have to do a thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Thank you ladys!!
    luckbug

Comment by luckbug (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• No you don't. Just remember you *might* run into him while you are out and about. NO he cannot take them overnight. If he wanted visitation he should have fought harder first time around. Since you have sole custody you can tell him NO they cannot stay the night and more importantly NO you cannot have any time alone with them. Supervised visit would be up to you also. The kids have been warned about Stranger Danger right?? He's a stranger so don't let them go with him.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Nope, you have no obligation to tell him since you have sole custody. It would be the same if you were still out of state and as far as he knows, you still are. Just don't go out to too many public places where he might go.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Do your kids want to see their dad? This is about them so that would factor into any decision I made. I can't imagine ever keeping my kids from their dad so this is hard for me to wrap my head around I guess.

healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 1:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2013