"timeout" question.

my 2 and a half year old daughter loves to TEST limits :)! Her new thing to say to mommy and daddy is "Leave me alone" and "go away" or "Im mad at you!" my husband is always feeding into it, saying "Thats not nice to say, or Dont talk to daddy like that.." I usually just ignore it, because i feel like giving her a reaction is going to cause her to keep doing it. One thing however, that i CANNOT ignore.. is when she HITS! when she throws a fit, she will fall out in the floor, scream and cry, but we ignore her. when she doesnt get our attention, she hits and says "BE NICE".. I have been putting her into her crib for time out, and every minute i will go in and ask her is SHE ready to be nice.. usually it takes her about 3 minutes to calm down and say sorry... So i was reading and ppl were saying that its not good to do timeouts in the crib but honestly if i sit a chair in the corner, she is just gunna get right out of it.. so what do you do to keep your toddler in the chair? because i know my daughter and the minute i sit her down she will pop right back up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I did was put my daughter on the stairs, which is her time-out spot in the house, and just kept taking her back there and sitting her down every time she got up. There were a couple of kicking, screaming battles at first, but I stayed firm, and she learned that she had to sit when she was told to. Now that she's older, she knows time-out doesn't start till she's sitting quietly.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• You put her in the chair, when she gets up you calmly put her back without a word and you do this over and over and over again until she learns she has to sit for the entire two minutes. The first few times could take you 20-30 minutes to get her to serve a 2 minute time out but she will get the message that you mean it.

Watch Supernanny or read her books. Really it is a GREAT source for these kinds of questions.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• yeah- what they said ^^
    putting her in her crib may cause her to think of the crib as the naughty place causing sleep issues
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• it's a faze. my son did that too, I don't think time outs are as effective at the age, you just have to ignore what there saying and timeouts get more upsetting for them around 3.
    good luck
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2013