How can I go away on vacation with my boyfriend and leave my unruly 17year old son home, since he refuses to go to his dad's wedding which is the same week.

Jeeze

Asked by Jeeze at 10:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• If you can't trust him to be home alone, then you either make him go to the wedding or you take your vacation some other time.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• sigh
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• In a way, I can't blame my son for not wanting to go. He does not have a good relationship with his dad(even though his dad lives close... he bought a house 2 doors down from me).
    But I already have my plane ticket and never get to do anything for myself.
    Jeeze

Comment by Jeeze (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• pity parties are not a team sport
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• More details.... This Man I am dating asked me to go on several vacations in the past . I have never been able to go because of my commitments to my kids. I am 51 y.o.. He and I were friends in high school and I really want to go with I'm this time. His parents are going as well.
    Jeeze

Comment by Jeeze (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• The bf and vacations can happen anytime but the child needs attention now.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• He's the child and you're the parent!
    He goes to his dads or you give up vacation!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• If his parents are going as well, then just take your son too. You aren't going to get advice here to leave your son at home, since he isn't trustworthy, Sacrifice is part of being a parent.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Find someone else willing to let him stay at their house while you're gone. A good friend or a trusted neighbor. I wouldn't trust him home alone the way you described him. Or, you can convince him to go but tell him he doesn't have to attend the wedding. That way, he gets a vacation, too. He can hang out at the hotel/pool with his own room or try to find someone else you know there that can take him in while you're there, like another relative who lives there.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2013

• Being a mom is inconvenient sometimes. Unless your son can stay with another relative or something, you'll have to change your plans.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2013